Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex

I finally got a letter in the mail from AMEX giving me the reason I was declined for an CLI. The reason they had was they didn't like the place(s) I was using my card to make purchases. Now the only place that I could think of is I purchased 2 42 inch hd tv's from the home shopping network but everytime I get up to a $800 balance I PIF. Has anyone else gotten this same reason
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex

hugh?

please expand, and if you can pust up an exact excerpt. just weird.
Message 2 of 14
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Interesting. Could you please post the exact words. If that is the case,  guess I have to think twice before I use my Amex card in Walmart and Dunkin Donuts.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

This does not make sense. If a merchant has an agreement w/Amex why should using the card there be suspect?

I just paid a $600 truck repair bill with mine today, hope that's 'acceptable'.  but i do pay marina/yacht club bills & charitable donations with it too

Would like to see the wording they used also.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

l9ikjam wrote:
I finally got a letter in the mail from AMEX giving me the reason I was declined for an CLI. The reason they had was they didn't like the place(s) I was using my card to make purchases. Now the only place that I could think of is I purchased 2 42 inch hd tv's from the home shopping network but everytime I get up to a $800 balance I PIF. Has anyone else gotten this same reason

There was a thread on another board that was about "first purchase" models, with lots of information on where to use your card for its first purchase in order to establish yourself in the CCC's eyes as the type of customer they want (because some CCCs do use this information to determine how they will treat you in the future).

Someone on that thread reported they had received a CLD, and the letter they got stated something to the same effect as the letter you received - something like "the types of establishments where you have recently used your card indicate higher-risk behavior."

Home shopping and infomercials, according to the info I've seen, are to be avoided for your first purchase, as are liquor stores, cash advances, and online "adult entertainment", shall we say.

Perhaps Amex is applying the same logic to any purchase, not just the first purchase.  I was a little sceptical of this practice when I first heard of it, but now your experience seems to have confirmed it.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't figured out what I did with the letter but after talking to my bother he told me that 1 of the companies he currently has a credit card with told him they really don't like to see people use they're cards to shop off of any home shopping show
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

l9ikjam wrote:
I can't figured out what I did with the letter but after talking to my bother he told me that 1 of the companies he currently has a credit card with told him they really don't like to see people use they're cards to shop off of any home shopping show

There ya go.  See my post above.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

These were they words they didn't like the place(s) I was using my card to make purchases
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I mean if someone is doing a pif 4 are 5 times a a month why should it matters where u shop. I guess Hooters and Patelco will be getting my onlines purchases for now on
Message 9 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Well, you'd like to think that Hooters wouldn't get all pissy about where you use the card...
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.