Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amextravel earnings

tag
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

Amextravel earnings

Hello, do I earn Amex membership points when I USE membership points on the Amextravel site? This would be very different from other portals, but I'm honestly not sure because the wording makes it seem like you are always earning

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amextravel earnings

@gen-specific wrote:

Hello, do I earn Amex membership points when I USE membership points on the Amextravel site? This would be very different from other portals, but I'm honestly not sure because the wording makes it seem like you are always earning

Here’s what I think happened for us, but someone may come along and tell me that I missed something. I’m on my phone only,  not computer. Historically AMEX hasn’t made it easy to see points earned etc but it appears on mobile at least that they’ve changed that. 

We used MR for 4 plane tickets (2 there, 2 back). What they do is charge your card and then issue a credit. It charges for each ticket separately when booked. Here’s what one ticket purchase looked like MR-wise. 

MEMBERSHIP REWARDS POINTS
Base235
Bonus (5X - AIRFARE)940

Total1,175

The credits, however, came thru as 2, not 4. So the two $235 tickets resulted in a $470 credit. The transaction with the credit only clawed back the 470 MR points. As far as I can tell, they let the 940 bonus stand for each ticket. 

Now i I have to see how it worked with Chase. Used them for 2 hotel nights on this trip to see how that worked. (Transferred points to Hyatt for the other two.)
Message 2 of 5
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

No you do not earn points from spending points.  Purchases paid with points is one of the categories listed as excluded from point earning in the terms (membershiprewards.com/terms).

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99 wrote:

No you do not earn points from spending points.  Purchases paid with points is one of the categories listed as excluded from point earning in the terms (membershiprewards.com/terms).

I think it must depend on how you spend points or which card we're talking about. 

Now that I'm at my computer: 

Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 5.39.48 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-18 at 5.40.13 AM.png

When I looked on my phone the 'normal' points and point credit show on the transaction. Those didn't make it to the summary. 

Message 4 of 5
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

That is my experience as well. Because of the way buying through Amex Travel works, and because buying through Amex Travel is a 5x category for Platinum, the charges are regular Amex Travel charges that get bonused, then a credit is issued to the account for redeeming MRs. Other places like Amazon or Newegg where you pay with points just offsets the amount actually charged.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.