bpreman

Amount of time to wait after paying off a credit card to sign up for a new one?

I was curious as to the amount of time I should wait after paying off a balance in full with a lender before applying for another credit card with that same company. 

For my example:  Capital One Secure Credit Card, Balance $212.00 / Limit $301.00 / Paid off as of 5/6/13.

I want to apply for the Capital One Cash Rewards Card.

Thanks for the help.  (First Time Poster:smileyhappy:

Senior Contributor
john398

Re: Amount of time to wait after paying off a credit card to sign up for a new one?

I would wait until atleast my credit reports were updated, and remember capital one will pull all 3, so when credit karma shows its paid off (from TU) your pretty safe knowing all 3 CRA have updated

bpreman

Re: Amount of time to wait after paying off a credit card to sign up for a new one?

The CRA's update that quickly?  I was not aware.  I know Credit Karma usually takes about 7-10 days after a payment for it to register with them.  Should I wait longer, IE: 2 weeks or A month before applying for the new card?  Thanks again for the input.

Valued Contributor
crunching_numbers

Most CC companies update within a day or so of the statement date. There are some exceptions. When you made the payment is not relevant to when the CB's will be updated.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: 748 TU(12/12), 783 TU98 , 813 TU08 FICO, 744 EQ FICO , 735 EX(9/12), 794 EX08 FICO, 809 EX08 bankcard FICO
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (20.7K), BofA Travel Rewards ($17.5), B&N World MC ($17.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (15K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig ($8.6K), Disc It ($8K), Citi Dia Pref MC ($3.7K),Sam's D ($8.5K), Wally D ($7.5K), JCP($5.3K)
Senior Contributor
john398

Yes I forgot to say after the statement has cut, like 7-10 days after

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+