Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amusing Pre-approvals?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amusing Pre-approvals?

I received three different pre-approvals the other day. Two via mail, and one via email. I found them so ludicrous, that I felt that I just had to share them.

The first was from First Premier, I was “pre-approved” for “up-to” $700. It only has a 35.99% APR and $175 AF!

The second was from Credit One (which has a logo suspiciously similar to Capital One.. likely to trick applicants into thinking they are a good bank), with a similar deal to the above. Pre-approved for $500, 36.99% APR, and $95 application fee and $8 monthly fee.

I have a good laugh at these while I put them both into the shredder, and I didn’t think much more about them until later that evening..

The last, was from Capital One (yes, the real one this time), and it wanted to let me know that they were VERY EXCITED to extend this opportunity to me… The Capital One Secured MasterCard! I would receive a $200 credit line for a $49/$99/$200 security deposit! And, it only has a $39 AF!

Now.. why in the world would I be at all interested in ANY of these cards? They obviously did a SP on me, and see what my limits and utilizations are.. I would think that the garbage would not even waste their time and money trying to get a customer like me...

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amusing Pre-approvals?

@Anonymous wrote:

I received three different pre-approvals the other day. Two via mail, and one via email. I found them so ludicrous, that I felt that I just had to share them.

The first was from First Premier, I was “pre-approved” for “up-to” $700. It only has a 35.99% APR and $175 AF!

The second was from Credit One (which has a logo suspiciously similar to Capital One.. likely to trick applicants into thinking they are a good bank), with a similar deal to the above. Pre-approved for $500, 36.99% APR, and $95 application fee and $8 monthly fee.

I have a good laugh at these while I put them both into the shredder, and I didn’t think much more about them until later that evening..

The last, was from Capital One (yes, the real one this time), and it wanted to let me know that they were VERY EXCITED to extend this opportunity to me… The Capital One Secured MasterCard! I would receive a $200 credit line for a $49/$99/$200 security deposit! And, it only has a $39 AF!

Now.. why in the world would I be at all interested in ANY of these cards? They obviously did a SP on me, and see what my limits and utilizations are.. I would think that the garbage would not even waste their time and money trying to get a customer like me...

Because most people don't actively look at their credit like people in this community do...

You know the old saying... "A sucker is born every day." Smiley Tongue

Message 2 of 5
core
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The second was from Credit One (which has a logo suspiciously similar to Capital One.. likely to trick applicants into thinking they are a good bank)

That's pretty funny.  Copy Capital One's logo so people think you're a "good bank"?  Best laugh I've had today.

Message 3 of 5
Strogen
Frequent Contributor

Yup, first premier is always sending me stuff. Best offer I think I saw was a $75 AF for a $750 credit line. 

Not sure what they think they are doing. I have over 100K in revolving credit with 2% util and no baddies. 720 credit scores. 

Lowest credit line is $1500, they must have seen my 38 inq and figure I wanted more credit.... lol 

807 TU FICO Score 8.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Very interesting! Wonder if they just don't understand your profile? Oh ...  I know it is marketing!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.