Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An Appl' a day results in too many inquiries

tag
Crisis
Established Contributor

An Appl' a day results in too many inquiries

I have a list of the cards I'd like to obtain, but I don't really know how/when to go about it.  The first four are the ones I'm really itching for at the moment. 

Discover It

AM EX Blue Cash Preferred
Chase Freedom
Sallie Mae Mastercard

US Bank Cash+
Bank of America Better Balance Rewards
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Barclay Arrival World Mastercard
Citi Executive AAdvantage Card
FNB Graphite Am Ex
British Airways Visa
Citi Dividend

Other pertinents -

My 2 oldest cards will be 7 in July.  They are a Chase Amazon with a $1300 limit and a Capital One Platinum that was just PC to Quicksilver.  It has a $500 limit atm.  I also have a one month old William's Sonoma Barclay card with a $3300 limit.  Average age of accounts is 3 years 7 months.  2 30 day lates from 2010.  I am working on GW atm.  Overall UTIL is about 30%.

I make about $35,000.  I'm planning to buy a car in June, so I don't want INQs now.  I have never had anything but credit cards.  I currently have 3 inq, one will be 2 years in December.  One will be one year in September.  (It was apping for a credit union that I am now a member of).

In addition to work, I am a full time student.  After school, I want to do some hardcore travelling, thus the interest in travel cards.

Other interrogatives: 

Does being a member of multiple credit unions have advantages? 

Do credit union HPs reflect differently than TLs?

Thank you in advance for your advice.  I appreciate it.

In the garden until debt is paid off and scores are up!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: An Appl' a day results in too many inquiries

Try the dealer financing before looking at credit union auto loans. I was able to get 0% through Ford on my recent auto purchase.

I am a member of many credit unions, just because it opens up a lot of possibilities if I ever needed a loan in the future. But most of them do a HP for membership. A HP is a HP and FICO will score it the same.  You don't have many inquiries though, and FICO doesn't score any that are older than 1 year.

I would let the car loan report for at least 3 months, better 6, to show that you can handle the payments with your income.  Then apply for the 4 cards at the top of your list.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 4
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@Crisis wrote:

I have a list of the cards I'd like to obtain, but I don't really know how/when to go about it.  The first four are the ones I'm really itching for at the moment. 

Discover It

Chase Freedom
Sallie Mae Mastercard

US Bank Cash+
Chase Sapphire Preferred
FNB Graphite Am Ex
British Airways Visa
Citi Dividend

Other pertinents -

My 2 oldest cards will be 7 in July.  They are a Chase Amazon with a $1300 limit and a Capital One Platinum that was just PC to Quicksilver.  It has a $500 limit atm.  I also have a one month old William's Sonoma Barclay card with a $3300 limit.  Average age of accounts is 3 years 7 months.  2 30 day lates from 2010.  I am working on GW atm.  Overall UTIL is about 30%.

I make about $35,000.  I'm planning to buy a car in June, so I don't want INQs now.  I have never had anything but credit cards.  I currently have 3 inq, one will be 2 years in December.  One will be one year in September.  (It was apping for a credit union that I am now a member of).

In addition to work, I am a full time student.  After school, I want to do some hardcore travelling, thus the interest in travel cards.

Other interrogatives: 

First of all...love your title...lol!

You gave all your pertinent info except your FICO scores...but if your scores are decent, which I presume they are based on your info, you shouldn't have any trouble with your 1st four choices. However, since you're wanting to purchase a car, it wouldn't hurt to let those few inquiries fall off and the lates age even further. I don't know of any "advantages" in membership in multiple CU's. Finally, a HP is a HP and affects you in the same way. Lenders "MAY" differentiate between HP's for utilities, cell phone service, apartment rental, etc. if they give you the opportunity to explain these sorts of inquiries on rehab, but mainly all HP's are treated equally, especially for FICO scoring. The best of luck to you.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 3 of 4
Crisis
Established Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

@Crisis wrote:

Discover It

Chase Freedom
Sallie Mae Mastercard

US Bank Cash+
Chase Sapphire Preferred
FNB Graphite Am Ex
British Airways Visa
Citi Dividend

Other pertinents -

Other interrogatives: 

First of all...love your title...lol!

You gave all your pertinent info except your FICO scores...but if your scores are decent, which I presume they are based on your info, you shouldn't have any trouble with your 1st four choices. However, since you're wanting to purchase a car, it wouldn't hurt to let those few inquiries fall off and the lates age even further. I don't know of any "advantages" in membership in multiple CU's. Finally, a HP is a HP and affects you in the same way. Lenders "MAY" differentiate between HP's for utilities, cell phone service, apartment rental, etc. if they give you the opportunity to explain these sorts of inquiries on rehab, but mainly all HP's are treated equally, especially for FICO scoring. The best of luck to you.

I didn't include FICOs because I went from 90% UTIL just over a month ago to 30%, and it'll be PIF within another month.  I will include them when they are updated.

In the garden until debt is paid off and scores are up!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.