Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An question about amex cash back

tag
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

An question about amex cash back

When does American express usually calculate the cash back amounts that show up on your account summary. Is it an particular day I would have thought it would be at statement closing date. I just noticed on my amex TE account that the amount of cash back i am supposed to be getting went up by 12 dollars. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: An question about amex cash back

@mongstradamus wrote:

When does American express usually calculate the cash back amounts that show up on your account summary. Is it an particular day I would have thought it would be at statement closing date. I just noticed on my amex TE account that the amount of cash back i am supposed to be getting went up by 12 dollars. 

Amex always is a month behind for me YMMV

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

it just seems like an random day they choose to update cash back values , i just noticed it today the cash back amount went up thats why i was wondering how they decide. I usually check my amex account at least once an day. 

Message 3 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

it just seems like an random day they choose to update cash back values , i just noticed it today the cash back amount went up thats why i was wondering how they decide. I usually check my amex account at least once an day. 

In my case all points updates are after statement closings

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

In my case all points updates are after statement closings

well this is definitely an weird anomaly then i guess , because statement doesn't close till 16th or 17th i believe. I will wait for statement to post so i can see how they did calculations for cash back. 

Message 5 of 8
rudy0720
Regular Contributor

Just talked to Amex last week on the BCE cash back. They said it is always a month behind after your statement closes

Citi Thank You Premier Visa Signature-$9K, Citi Thank You Preferred Vis Signature-$8.3K, Citi AA Signature- 8.5K, Citi Simplicity 9.2K, Citi Diamond-6.1K, Lowes-$10K, Chase Sapphire Preferred- $ 5K, AMEX BCE $14.5K, AMEX Starwood Preferred $15K, ,AMEX Everyday-$5K, Fidelity Amex-$10K, US Bank 123 rewards Kroger-$17K, Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature-$30K, Amex Delta-$10K, Barclay Arrival Plus- $10K, Penfed Travel Rewards Amex-$10K, Bank of America Cash Rewards- $14K
Message 6 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

Is it an particular day I would have thought it would be at statement closing date. I just noticed on my amex TE account that the amount of cash back i am supposed to be getting went up by 12 dollars. 

I don't recall off the top of my head for my TE but I think it was after statement close.

@mongstradamus wrote:
I will wait for statement to post so i can see how they did calculations for cash back.

I'd guess it's from the former, not current, statement period.  Have you checked?

Message 7 of 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Is it an particular day I would have thought it would be at statement closing date. I just noticed on my amex TE account that the amount of cash back i am supposed to be getting went up by 12 dollars. 

I don't recall off the top of my head for my TE but I think it was after statement close.

@mongstradamus wrote:
I will wait for statement to post so i can see how they did calculations for cash back.

I'd guess it's from the former, not current, statement period.  Have you checked?

I just noticed it the other day where the amount changed but my statement doesn't cut till 16th thats where the confusion is. I usually check my account summary online every day to make sure no fraud charges have been made. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.