Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

And I was hit with an AA smh...

tag
pip3man
Valued Contributor

Re: And I was hit with an AA smh...

To those advising that I close the account - if I could, I would definitely get rid of the account in a heartbeat but I can't because I primarily shop at Macys for just about everything and if im not mistaken I've prolly spent close to $20k at Macys since Dec 14 till date so closing this card is not option for me. I totally dislike the way this account is set up, im just bummed!

Message 11 of 47
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just a note about your comment about Small Business Saturday.  Amex has announced that there will not be any incentives for consumers this year on that day

I'm hoping to scroll down and read this is some kind of delayed April Fool's thing.

I don't want to derail the OP's thread so I'll start a thread as I believe it will be of interest to others.

I'm actually at fault for that for bringing up SBS, so to the OP I apologize.

Back to Macy's... I have history with them myself, and it wasn't pretty.

Back during the time of my 'meltdown' I went into the store to look at a cheap dresser they had on sale.  I had cash to pay for it, but they were offering a promotion if you used the Macy's card, so I thought, what the heck... my credit was damaged, but my Macy's was in good shape (I already had an account, and I had a perfect payment history).

They had to call to get my card approved for a very small ($500) 'Major Purchase' account for the promo.  Well, after talking to the credit dept for a few seconds, the sales clerk handed me the phone.  The credit CSR then proceeded to tell me that she was closing my account, due to information on my credit bureau report!  So, not only was she denying my purchase that day, she was closing out my revolving line.  I was honestly dumbfounded.

The sales clerk was so shocked when I hung up the phone and told her what happened that she insisted on calling back herself, and getting a different rep.  Then she put me back on the phone, and the second rep apologized, and told me there was nothing she could do.  She told me that she would not have taken the action the first rep took - she would have simply denied the major purchase account and left my revolving alone - but once an account was closed, it could only be reopened by a supervisor.  I asked her to check with the supervisor, which she did, but the supervisor said 'no'. 

So, I left the store with no dresser, and no credit card.

I know the credit dept. is not the same organization as the store, but since I have sufficient credit at other mall stores I tend to avoid Macy's.  It's been probably seven or eight years now (the account is no longer reporting) but I still have a bad taste in my mouth.  At times I have wondered if they would approve me for a new account, but then I think of that day, and I don't even want to bother.

So to the OP... Macy's seems to have a way of 'messing' with people.  You might truly be better off without their Amex anyway.

Message 12 of 47
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@pip3man wrote:

To those advising that I close the account - if I could, I would definitely get rid of the account in a heartbeat but I can't because I primarily shop at Macys for just about everything and if im not mistaken I've prolly spent close to $20k at Macys since Dec 14 till date so closing this card is not option for me. I totally dislike the way this account is set up, im just bummed!

Is your Macy's store account separate from the Amex?  If it's not, you're going to have a difficult time pumping $20k through with a $300 credit line!

If it's a 'two account/one card' kind of deal, I would just disregard the Amex part of the account, and use it in the store only for those benefits.  I'm hoping for the sake of your sanity your store limit is over $300, though!

Message 13 of 47
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@pip3man wrote:

With a $300 credit line, how are you going to purchase anything meaningful at Macy's unless you keep making small purchases and keep going back to make immediate payments? You spent $20k worth at Macy's and all you got was a $300 credit line; then you got a $5k credit line since April but never used it. 

Either way, there's no point in having that card. If you're going to spend another $4-5k this holiday season, spend it on your Discover using Apple Pay. The cashback will pay for the iPhone if you don't have it already.

Message 14 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry OP that you are having a difficult time with your MAcy's Amex. I have the regular store card which I haven't used in about 3-4 months. Maybe it's an Amex thing because they haven't decreased my CL. A few weeks ago I got an 8k CLI. Best of luck to you!!!

Message 15 of 47
pip3man
Valued Contributor

Lemme clarify, my Macy's store account has a $27k limit which is still intact and the card is a two account one card type. I did go ahead to use the card today and it's already maxed out. Let's see what they say or do this time around. But thanks everyone, I appreciate all ya inputs regarding this issue.

Message 16 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

mister_endowed, I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. Not a Macy's card fan myself. Question though: if you shop a lot in Macy's and place a lot of spend there, wouldn't you be better off in the long run putting that spend on a solid cashback card (i.e., Citi Double Cash, Discover, BCP, etc), rather than on a Macy's Amex? Just a thought.

Message 17 of 47
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@pip3man wrote:

There's nothing one can do to please these CC companies 

Sure there is.  However, don't assume that they're all the same.  Your experience with CLD's and lack of use seems typical from skimming other threads on the Macy's card.  You don't have to use it and can certainly use other cards and creditors instead.

@pip3man wrote:

To those advising that I close the account - if I could, I would definitely get rid of the account in a heartbeat but I can't because I primarily shop at Macys

That's not really a reason to keep it.  Don't just assume that a store branded card is the best choice for purchases at that store.  What benefit are you getting from it that makes it worth it to you to deal with this hassle?

Keep in mind that you can get rewards on spend at Macy's with other cards.  As mentoned above, if you have an iPhone 6 or newer with IOS 9 and Discover you can get an additional 10% by paying with Apple Pay and your Discover card.  If you signed up for the Double Cash back promo that would be doubled.  That is, through the end of the year.

Message 18 of 47
Blodreina
Established Contributor

I would have closed it faster than I could finish this post.

Message 19 of 47
pip3man
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

mister_endowed, I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. Not a Macy's card fan myself. Question though: if you shop a lot in Macy's and place a lot of spend there, wouldn't you be better off in the long run putting that spend on a solid cashback card (i.e., Citi Double Cash, Discover, BCP, etc), rather than on a Macy's Amex? Just a thought.

Your right and I did think about that, however I don't have the Citi DC and my Discover CL definitely can't support the amount of spend I put at Macys. One major reason I use their card is bcos, for all my wrist watch purchases I always get 12months to pay it off with no interest and usually at the end of the year there's this awesome program they got that u enroll in so whenever u shop with the card u get like 10% or 20% of your net purchases back by the year's end. Earlier this year I got a $500 gift card so this and many other stuff draws me to Macy's. And as for AMEX, man that's a NO TRESPASS ZONE for me unfortunately....

Message 20 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.