Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

And down goes Care Credit....ugh!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: And down goes Care Credit....ugh!!

@EW800 wrote:

I have not used my Care Credit account in just over a year.  It sounds like I may be knocking on the door of closure.  Can anyone tell me what the options are to use it, if there are no current medical expenses coming up?  Any options at all?

Pet care at participating Vets....or go get your teeth cleaned, an office visit to the doctor, maybe get your eyes examined / new glasses.

Message 11 of 27
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Closing after four months of inactivity seems very quick for what (I think) is almost a store card. Is there a chance it's risk-related AA in disguise?

I only used the card one time in 14 months of having it, for only $14.82, and PIF of course.  Im not really surprised by their actions of closing.  When I called in and inquired, the lady said spefically it was closed only for inavtivity and no other reasons. Im sure Ill get the letter in the mail and see if it lists anything else.  It could be AA in disguise, but im leaning towards that its not.  For me nothing has changed in reports except my scores going up, and neg accts dropping off.  I think this is purely inactivity, and me not really taking advantage of the financing it offers.  Im ok though, not upset by it, and its business. I can always reapply if I want too in a few years when I leave the garden, so not too worried about it. 

Message 12 of 27
ddemari
Super Contributor

That's a good attitude! U opened this card in July or you used it for the time time in July?
Message 13 of 27
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@ddemari wrote:
That's a good attitude! U opened this card in July or you used it for the time time in July?

I used it for the first time in July. 

Message 14 of 27
UncleB
Credit Mentor

That's lousy, Pizza!  Smiley Mad

I admire your attitude, though... at this point, what's done is done, and spending too much time on being annoyed would just be a waste at this point.  I aspire to have a similar attitude myself... I'm not there yet, but it's what I aim for!  Smiley Happy

It really sucks that Synchrony seemingly expects Care Credit to be actively used after approval... it kind of throws planning for a procedure or being prepared for emergencies right out the window.  I'm getting a dental implant next week, so my own Care Credit will certainly show 'activity' for the next 24 months (for better or worse) but it's a shame they require that to keep the account active.

I'm curious if anybody else has experienced similar action on their own Care Credit.

(Side-thought - With most Synchrony cards, there's a retail partner that has some 'say so' (and personal interest) in keeping idle accounts open.  Since Care Credit has no such partner - giving Synchrony sole control on the terms - perhaps that's why they could be more likely to close it for non-use?)

Message 15 of 27
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear it closed when you needed it.   It seems like Care Credit doesn't like inactivity for a year.   I just wished the providers who accept Care Credit were more flexible with it.   Since I was only offered 6 months financing on a nearly $1000 dental expense, I didn't find it useful for my situation.   I think Care Credit may be charging their providers too much for their service.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 16 of 27
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

Sorry to hear it closed when you needed it.   It seems like Care Credit doesn't like inactivity for a year.   I just wished the providers who accept Care Credit were more flexible with it.   Since I was only offered 6 months financing on a nearly $1000 dental expense, I didn't find it useful for my situation.   I think Care Credit may be charging their providers too much for their service.  

+1

When making 'small talk' with my dentist, he indicated that he definitely takes a 'hit' when somebody takes advantage of Care Credit's 'deferred interest'... although he also added that it's worth it for him because it allows folks to get stuff done they would otherwise put off for later. 

I didn't ask, but I'm fairly sure they also have some control over the offers we're given.  At my dentist, my $670 charge was offered deferred interest at my choice of 6, 12, 18, or 24 months (yep, any of them).  Although I will have it paid off in well under a year, I chose 24 months because it was available, and I know I'm about to have another (larger) 'deferred interest' plan as well.

He also said that unlike insurance, when somebody uses Care Credit if the transaction is before the daily cut-off he gets 100% of the money in his account the next day.  I guess it's a trade-off.

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

When making 'small talk' with my dentist, he indicated that he definitely takes a 'hit' when somebody takes advantage of Care Credit's 'deferred interest'... although he also added that it's worth it for him because it allows folks to get stuff done they would otherwise put off for later. 

I didn't ask, but I'm fairly sure they also have some control over the offers we're given.  At my dentist, my $670 charge was offered deferred interest at my choice of 6, 12, 18, or 24 months (yep, any of them).  Although I will have it paid off in well under a year, I chose 24 months because it was available, and I know I'm about to have another (larger) 'deferred interest' plan as well.

He also said that unlike insurance, when somebody uses Care Credit if the transaction is before the daily cut-off he gets 100% of the money in his account the next day.  I guess it's a trade-off.

Thanks for the information!

Message 18 of 27
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Just wanted to update folks.....

first..thank you to everyone who responded, and your support! I appreciate YOU!!..

Second... Called in again today escalated to a senior super in Credit to inquire the "real reason" for closure, and was told, the ONLY reason was for non use, and that was all, nothing else, and she said thats exactly what the letter will say too. (relieved).

I told her that I actually had plans to use the card tomorrow with my eye appt, realizing that I hadn't used the card much, or in awhile, and she said, "Gosh, I wish you would have called in to let us know, we could have put a comment on your acct, and it wouldnt have closed yesterday. You missed it by a day!"

She offered to open another acct for me of course with a HP, and she'd make my limit what it was, previously, I declined. I also told her that on the Care Credit website, it specially states that as long as you use your card ONE time within a year, it will keep the acct open. I did use the acct ONCE in the year I had it, granted it was only for $14.82, but it was used, LOL...She apologized, and I said I might reapply in a few years.

Checked all my other Synch accts one more time LOL, and all intact including limits. Not worried about those since those get used every 1-3months regularly.

So, this acct closure, really was just for inactivity.
Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

Soooooo, checking my accts tonight as usual, and especially my Care Credit acct because I have an eye appt on Wednesday,  and this is one of my cards ive needed to put a charge on, and Oh NO, Say IT ISNT SO!!!  Available credit shows....$0.  Called in, and lady told me it got closed actually today for inactivity, ugh lol..  CL was $10.8k, doesnt effect me at all for util.  

What a bummer, especially since I knew I needed to put a charge on it, and planned to in a few days at my appt. Oh well....thats the breaks folks.  Im not mad by any means, just slightly disappointed.  Its  just business though!! Smiley Wink  

They of course offered me to reappy right then, and I naturally declined.  Had the card a little over a year, and only put one charge on it back in July and PIF. 

P.S.   all my other synch cards are fine with limits intact. 

Coincidentally, you had literally provided advice on this to another poster just the other day.  Wow... sorry to hear about the closure pizza!  So, is that the only transaction you've made since you've had the card (i.e. July?) - or did you use it a little in the beginning?

I know!!  I had checked my accts yesterday, and everything was fine, sat down tonight to go thru them again, and boom!   Yep...July was the only transaction Ive made, and actually made appt for my eye doc on Wednesday to use the card, LOL!!  I knew it was time again.  On their website it states you only need to use the card once in a years time to keep it open and active. oh well...thanks Fin...it is what it is!! Smiley Wink

Yup, that poster was me. Sounds like you were on the chopping block, too. Sorry that happened, but...seriously, shrug. No one should  have to work that hard to use a credit card. If you do, it obviously doesn't deserve a perminant place in your wallet.

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.