Annoyed at places that don't take Amex

tag
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

Re: Annoyed at places that don't take Amex

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
I know!
I almost had a panic attack over $0.40 lost in rewards :-(
I don't want a Visa, MC, or Discover in my wallet. Amex has been treating me the fairest lately, but if I can't use it as much, what's the point. I don't want to have extra cards in my wallet "just in case" My wallet is small and will barely fit much of anything haha. No way in heck I could get all 20 cards in that thing.

I don't understand your issue. You have a MC and Visa. If you take one of them with you along with your Amex you will be able to use your card in 95% of the places in America. If you take 1 Visa and 1 MC plus only one of your Amex (3 total cards) you can use your cards at 100% of shops. If you can fit 2 cards into your wallet now I don't see how having three will make your wallet overflow. You knew Amex wasn't accepted everywhere when you applied, it seems like you're just ranting for the sake of ranting. 

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 11 of 50
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Wait...is it still 5% on restaurants w Freedom?
Either way, I sd'ed Freedom although I can't really remember why... Oh yeah.. Bc it's almost maxxed out for BTs lol. Amex has shown me love. In fact, while Amex has increased my initial limits with them of $3500 to $30000 combined, Chase still has me at $5k.
I've been using Discover IT a little too.
At this point, I just am trying to keep my purchases under control and pif. I just don't want to be aimlessly charging on random cards.

On that point, Iirc I have seen that happen before; other places have asked me if I have other forms of payment rather than Amex just bc they don't want to pay a fee.
You know what?
I'm tired of that BS. I had to bust my azz and build my credit for five years to get an Amex. If you don't take the card I choose as a consumer, you don't get paid.
I'm normally an easy-going pushover kind of guy w stuff like that, but the next time it happens, I'll just request a member of management. LOL
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 12 of 50
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I just don't like to carry around excess cards. I'm trying to keep everything on one or two cards.

And yeah, I am ranting because this is a rant-worthy issue lol new word? "Rantworthy" 😜😝😄
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 13 of 50
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Open123 wrote:

@steve23111 wrote:

The one gotcha is that a lot of places won't post an AMEX logo sticker on the door and they will TELL you initially that they do not accept AMEX, but the moment you leave the sale on the counter and start to walk, or tell them you only use AMEX, they suddenly "find a way" to make it work (ie, run the damn card through the machine).  Most smaller businesses use payment terminals run by firms that cater to the card processing needs of small businesses, and virtually all of those terminals will accept all four major card flavors.

Try it.

Right, per the merchant agreement, if the Amex blue signed is displayed, the Merchant *must* accept the card; but, if it isn't, they can at their discretion.  

I've been to a few restaurants who asked me to pay with another card (since they know I have it), but allowed some tourists next to our table to pay with an Amex.

+2.  I found this one out anecdotally when getting my haircut recently, I handed over my default Amex, then noticed the only had Visa/MC on their sign, apologized profusely and was about to walk out to the car where I'd mistakenly left my other form of payment, when the employee assured me they take Amex and proceeded to swipe the card anyway.

I may simply start presenting my Amex anyway on default spending regardless of signage, in the past year and a half I've been to three places that simply don't accept it, and two places which were cash only.  Granted I live in Los Angeles which has to be one of the deeper market pentrations for Amex, but it's just never been a problem for me and I carry my own Freedom anyway instead of a debit card: I haven't used a debit card since 10/11 when I started this credit wandering, and trying to keep it that way.

        
Message 14 of 50
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

Anyone has a Centurion Card but got rejected by the merchant? Smiley Very Happy

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 15 of 50
Open123
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

I may simply start presenting my Amex anyway on default spending regardless of signage, in the past year and a half I've been to three places that simply don't accept it, and two places which were cash only.  Granted I live in Los Angeles which has to be one of the deeper market pentrations for Amex, but it's just never been a problem for me and I carry my own Freedom anyway instead of a debit card: I haven't used a debit card since 10/11 when I started this credit wandering, and trying to keep it that way.

Likewise, from force of habit, I just offer my Amex SPG, which is my default card for any non-bonus category spending.  Where I am, it's accepted in 99% percent of places I frequent.

I can only think of 2 or 3 places I frequent (that are actually important to me) who refuses to take Amex.

Message 16 of 50
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@w20031424 wrote:

Anyone has a Centurion Card but got rejected by the merchant? Smiley Very Happy

Yes, I've had that experience before and it was quite embarassing. I should have known better given the kind of establishment I was frequenting.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 17 of 50
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
So I really got bummed when paying my bill at brunch yesterday. All I had were Amex Delta Gold and BCE and my ugly Chase debit visa with absolutely no benefits or cash back.

They told me they didn't accept Amex, so I had to use my debit card heh.

LOL...as a fellow rewards jukie, I feel your pain!  Debit card with no rewards is like sacrilege!

Wait till you travel abroad, much less Amex acceptance, where MC is King, Visa is Queen and Amex is the single bishop on the wrong color. 

PS - JCB/Disc is nice to have when travelling to Japan and SE Asia.

LOL! +1. That's one of the best analogies I've heard so far on these forums about card acceptance.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 18 of 50
martinkk
Contributor

No. We don't. Not if we have to give up our profit to get it. You don't work for nothing, and if your boss wanted you to give 5% of your check to your customers, I believe you'd object to it. You should not expect small business people to give up theirs so easily, just because you want to look cool. Sorry to sound rude, but it seems that this generation cant seem to understand that they are not usually the most important person in the room. Many small businesses struggle with costs, taxes, insurance, and the list goes on. Not all customers are created equal. Some cost too much, and some just take too much time or too many resources to service. The business is stronger without them.
Message 19 of 50
Open123
Super Contributor

@martinkk wrote:
No. We don't. Not if we have to give up our profit to get it. You don't work for nothing, and if your boss wanted you to give 5% of your check to your customers, I believe you'd object to it. You should not expect small business people to give up theirs so easily, just because you want to look cool. Sorry to sound rude, but it seems that this generation cant seem to understand that they are not usually the most important person in the room. Many small businesses struggle with costs, taxes, insurance, and the list goes on. Not all customers are created equal. Some cost too much, and some just take too much time or too many resources to service. The business is stronger without them.

Every business/merchant should have full discretion to accept whatever forms of tender they deem fitting; while, every consumer should equally have discretion to decide whatever form of payment he prefers.

It all works out in the end when both merchants and consumers act in their respective best interests.

Message 20 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.