Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoyed at places that don't take Amex

tag
leoment
Frequent Contributor

Re: Annoyed at places that don't take Amex

I know you said you don't like Citi, but this is where a Forward card would come in handy.  That's my default card for any sort of eating out, and since it's a Visa, it ALWAYS gets accepted.

My debit card does not leave the house anymore, unless I need to withdraw cash.  I wish I could convert it to an ATM only card tbh.

800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 21 of 50
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
So I really got bummed when paying my bill at brunch yesterday. All I had were Amex Delta Gold and BCE and my ugly Chase debit visa with absolutely no benefits or cash back.

They told me they didn't accept Amex, so I had to use my debit card heh.

Im frustrated that more places don't accept Amex. Sure, a phat credit line and a nicely designed card are fantastic,
But if I can't use it everywhere I go... What's the point?
Is Amex working on expanding acceptance?
Sure, I get a small business doesn't want yo pay a 5% metchant fee, BUT HELLO...do you want my business or not?

Just frustrated heh lol

I get how you feel and thats why a keep a visa CC with my BCE & Discover IT. My parent's family own restaurant (own for 10 years) only accepts Visa and MC and we never had a customer leave because they can't use a Amex. Also, some companies required a 50-75 cents swipe fee plus the % merchent fee and for a small business its not worth it. A 5-10 dollar lunch with those fees on top of the food supplies, gas, electric, and employee thats at a lost right there.

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
FICO = EQ: 786 (1/15) TU:774 (2/15) EX: 767 (2/15)
Message 22 of 50
zeusta20
Established Contributor

I normally never have an issue finding places that accept Amex! Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones lol. Although, I rarely use my amex since I get better rewards using my CSP and Freedom.

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 23 of 50
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

@martinkk wrote:
No. We don't. Not if we have to give up our profit to get it. You don't work for nothing, and if your boss wanted you to give 5% of your check to your customers, I believe you'd object to it. You should not expect small business people to give up theirs so easily, just because you want to look cool. Sorry to sound rude, but it seems that this generation cant seem to understand that they are not usually the most important person in the room. Many small businesses struggle with costs, taxes, insurance, and the list goes on. Not all customers are created equal. Some cost too much, and some just take too much time or too many resources to service. The business is stronger without them.

It's not my job or any other consumers job for that matter to make it easier on the business or to look out for them. If the business owner wasn't capable of running the shop than he/she shouldn't have opened it. It seems you feel that consumers should be happy that we can shop there. The struggles of a small business are not my problem. If that shop owner can't run that business properly without complaining than he shouldn't be running the shop. If I choose to use my Amex they can tell me they don't take that card. If I choose to walk away from the sale at this point than it's my prerogative as a consumer. But don't expect me to baby you as a business owner. It seems like this generation of business owner can't seem to understand that if they want to open the business than they take the hardships of owning a business with it. It's not my job to mindful of your overhead costs. If you don't want to take Amex that's fine but don't blame the consumer if you're a poor business owner. Most consumers are mindful that smaller shops may not take Discover/Amex and if it's the case with me I carry more than just Amex. But like I said previously, the business owner's hardhips of running the business are not my problem as a consumer.

Message 24 of 50
sccredit
Valued Contributor

I truly believe that ONLY a small business owner (like a restaurant) can understand why a merchant would not take AMEX. 

Message 25 of 50
Open123
Super Contributor

@sccredit wrote:

I truly believe that ONLY a small business owner (like a restaurant) can understand why a merchant would not take AMEX. 

Likewise, only a small business owner (like a restaurant) can understand why I should subsidize his wait staff with a 18% - 20% gratuity.

Message 26 of 50
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@PokemonMaster wrote:

It's not my job or any other consumers job for that matter to make it easier on the business or to look out for them. If the business owner wasn't capable of running the shop than he/she shouldn't have opened it. It seems you feel that consumers should be happy that we can shop there. The struggles of a small business are not my problem. If that shop owner can't run that business properly without complaining than he shouldn't be running the shop. If I choose to use my Amex they can tell me they don't take that card. If I choose to walk away from the sale at this point than it's my prerogative as a consumer. But don't expect me to baby you as a business owner. It seems like this generation of business owner can't seem to understand that if they want to open the business than they take the hardships of owning a business with it. It's not my job to mindful of your overhead costs. If you don't want to take Amex that's fine but don't blame the consumer if you're a poor business owner. Most consumers are mindful that smaller shops may not take Discover/Amex and if it's the case with me I carry more than just Amex. But like I said previously, the business owner's hardhips of running the business are not my problem as a consumer.

People make it a problem by walking out because a business doesn't accept their preferred card. I do agree that the costs of running cards isn't much and if your margin is that thin then you need to do something to raise it. However, any business is going to do what they can to keep costs down and if that means not accepting a certain network for payment, that is their choice. It's silly to have all of what you were going to get, they tell you they don't accept it, and then leave the store. I could see if American Express had cards that give 10% cashback, but as far as I know, they do not. Most businesses have signs and such on the door or near the register saying what they accept. Since you know that American Express is not accepted everywhere, you could ask before gathering your items. It's not the consumer's job to keep the businesses cost low, but usually when a business does something that costs them more money, they may pass it to the consumer.

@Open123 wrote:

Likewise, only a small business owner (like a restaurant) can understand why I should subsidize his wait staff with a 18% - 20% gratuity.

I really don't agree with this. I work a lot harder than servers and very rarely get a tip. A tip should be something that is appreciated, not expected. Also, don't believe the rubbish about them making less than minimum wage. If they don't make up the difference of their pay and minimum wage in tips, the restaurant is required to pay it.

Message 27 of 50
Open123
Super Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

It's silly to have all of what you were going to get, they tell you they don't accept it, and then leave the store. I could see if American Express had cards that give 10% cashback, but as far as I know, they do not. Most businesses have signs and such on the door or near the register saying what they accept. Since you know that American Express is not accepted everywhere, you could ask before gathering your items. It's not the consumer's job to keep the businesses cost low, but usually when a business does something that costs them more money, they may pass it to the consumer.

+1

Agreed.  Whenever I don't see the Amex signage, I always inquire if the merchant accepts or would be willing to accept Amex.  If not, I either decide to use another form (which is always when I have spend requirements!), or go and buy it elsewhere.  I don't believe in infringing on a merchant's time (like the store shoppers scouting out a product before an amzn purchase), unless I were fully prepared to make a purchase.

Regarding the tip (after all this time, the way to create multiple quotes within a reply still eludes me), I understand and appreciate the history behind tipping, namely to show appreciation for services.  This is a very uniquely American thing which isn't followed elsewhere in the world.  Matter of fact, in SE Asia, there are strict instructions to *never* tip, since they believe a wage should be enough for a person to do his job.

Here, restaurant owners (I don't blame them, since I'd do the same) pass some of the wait staffs wage to us, the diners.  Still, that's fine, since we don't have to dine out or leave a smaller or "no" tip, like tourists.  Where I draw the line is the absurd recommendation that my gratuity should be based on post-tax tab, instead of pre-tax.

Message 28 of 50
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@navigatethis12 wrote:

I really don't agree with this. I work a lot harder than servers and very rarely get a tip. A tip should be something that is appreciated, not expected. Also, don't believe the rubbish about them making less than minimum wage. If they don't make up the difference of their pay and minimum wage in tips, the restaurant is required to pay it.

OT, but I thought tips typically got spread out to other staff members?  They did when I was a kid busing tables, apparently I was mistaken and naive to assume most places worked this way.

        
Message 29 of 50
Open123
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@navigatethis12 wrote:

OT, but I thought tips typically got spread out to other staff members?  They did when I was a kid busing tables, apparently I was mistaken and naive to assume most places worked this way.

I know of some restaurant owners who keep the tips.

Message 30 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.