cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annual Fee Removal - If you don't succeed - Try again and again!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Annual Fee Removal - If you don't succeed - Try again and again!

I've been trying to get both my Orchard cards AF removed last week. Called twice and they declined.

Third time, told them I would cancel if they don't credit the $79 AF on both cards. To my surprise, the CSR said "I can certainly do that for you, sir."

I thought to myself, these cards have my oldest trade lines and I don't want to do that... I was just playing the game. 

The CSR had to transfer me to another department to finalize the cancellation. Right after the transfer, I complained about the high AF to the next CSR. The rep then said, she can halve it for me. Told her, "If you can do half, then I am certain you can take the entire AF off. If you can't do it, I want to speak to someone that can." Also told her that I can feed my family for 2 weeks on the AF they charge me. She put me on a 5 minute hold, came back and told me that she will credit the AF back to both my accounts. 

Moral of the story:

If you are having a hard time getting AF removed, be persistent. And due to current economic conditions, creditors are willing to close account if requested so I wouldn't recommend using the "threaten to close" tactic nowadays. Be truthful and tell them about how you are trying to cope with current economic crisis.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Annual Fee Removal - If you don't succeed - Try again and again!

good for you!  i personally didn't have the same luck, with 3 tries, but oh well.  i'll chalk it up as more punishment for screwing up my credit in the first place.
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good for you. I haven't paid their fee for 2 out of the 3+ years I've had the card.  I too hold on to it for the age, but will dismiss it if I can't get fee waived this year.  I think it's holding me back anyway with the $1100 CL.
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also told her that I can feed my family for 2 weeks on the AF they charge me.  

Where do you do your grocery shopping? Smiley Very Happy

Congrats on getting your AF dropped. My closest friend just opened a HSBC CC that has an AF of $79. How long after having the CC should he begin negotiating the removal of the $79?

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would wait until right before the 1 year anniversary. So long as she has been a good customer, no lates, over limits, etc. I'd call up and be ready to cancel if the fee can't be waived.  The thing is, you have to be prepared to actually cancel in the event you get a CSR that doesn't give a crap and says "Alrighty, let's close ya out." Every so often you get one of those.
Message 5 of 16
creditreformer
Frequent Contributor

Congrats- I called last wk to cancel (2 yr anniv= 3/09) + all I got was

200 cli W/O the 20 fee

Af waived by 50- cs said he could not waive the af totally

Will call again before 3/09 + see if they will totally waive af

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh yeah, I got a free CLI when I called to cancel, too.  Mine was only $100 though. Brought me up to a whopping $1100CL. LOL

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh and don't ASK to have the annual fee waived. When you call you want to say that you'd like to cancel the card because you just can't justify the annual fee anymore. Your credit has improved considerably and it seems silly to pay an AF for a non-rewards card that you don't get any benefits from. This approach will yield better results as opposed to calling and asking to have the fee waived.

Message 8 of 16
creditreformer
Frequent Contributor

I’m jealous of your 1.1k cl upup. Mine is 800- and it is only that high b/c I comboed 2 300 orchards into 1. 200 cli took 22 MONTHS to get. I’m leaning towards canceling them @ the 2 yr mark (3/09) anyway- my ba 99/500 will unsecure by then, I have higher cls, etc.

When I called, I was pretty much done/ready to cancel, so I said I want to close b/c

no clis

atrocious af

low cl

just not sure orchard @ 800 cl is really worth it for another yr fico wise.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hate that he accepted a CC with an AF but given that he is rebuilding and his FICO was slightly less than 600, he felt that he had few options. Thank you so much for your helpful advice and I will certainly pass it on to him-if he doesn't read it first.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.