Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annual Fee Waivers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Annual Fee Waivers

I'm curious. For the cards with annual fees, how hard and how easy is it to get the annual fees waived? Methods? How long after having the card? Which card?

What did you do or say to make it happen?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Annual Fee Waivers

Capital One waived mine every year. You just have to wait till it post and ask.
Message 2 of 7
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm curious. For the cards with annual fees, how hard and how easy is it to get the annual fees waived? Methods? How long after having the card? Which card?

What did you do or say to make it happen?

It varies from lender to lender. Sometimes they will do retention offers that they will wiave fee if you spend X amount. If you are a heavy user of the card they may credit you the AF. Other lenders will not offer anything. Basically you should not count on an Af waiver but it is worth checking on if you like the card. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is very general advice but:
- Havent seen much luck with Chase. Basically impossible on CSP. However, they are good with product changes and moving CLs if you want to cancel your AF card without losing the limit.
- Citi and Cap One are among the easier lenders
- Barclays likes spend but they are hit or miss
Message 4 of 7
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
- Havent seen much luck with Chase. Basically impossible on CSP. However, they are good with product changes and moving CLs if you want to cancel your AF card without losing the limit.

For Barclays Arrival+ it seems very difficult, but they let you PC to the non-AF card. Yes it is really tough with the CSP. Cap 1 I have had good luck with. Citi has been a pain for me. If you put decent spend on the citi card it gets easier, but some of their cards they don't waive. 

;
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For Barclays Arrival+ it seems very difficult, but they let you PC to the non-AF card. Yes it is really tough with the CSP. Cap 1 I have had good luck with. Citi has been a pain for me. If you put decent spend on the citi card it gets easier, but some of their cards they don't waive. 

I think the ability to PC from Arrival+ to Arrival is a YMMV area. In most cases I've read, customers have been able to do it, but some had to call several times.

Maybe it's easier now, but there was a time when Barclaycard was quite irritated about people PCing after the first year and made it difficult. I went for the no-AF version just so I wouldn't risk being stuck with an AF I didn't want.

Message 6 of 7
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the ability to PC from Arrival+ to Arrival is a YMMV area. In most cases I've read, customers have been able to do it, but some had to call several times.

Maybe it's easier now, but there was a time when Barclaycard was quite irritated about people PCing after the first year and made it difficult. I went for the no-AF version just so I wouldn't risk being stuck with an AF I didn't want.

Hmm. If they didn't let me PC mine I would have closed the card without hesitation. They may have lightened up after the changes to the Arrival+

;
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.