Regular Contributor
MMart078

Annual Fee vs APR

Would it ever be justified to pay an annual fee for an exceptionally low APR for life. Lets say like an AMEX platinum charge card you know how it charges $450 what if for that fee they let you carry a balance every month with no interest rate? (effectively making a Credit Card)
Epic Contributor
Creditaddict

Re: Annual Fee vs APR

I have no issues paying annual fees but I guess that's just because I have had really good credit and really bad credit and the fastest way to rebuild sometimes costs some money!

However if credit was never the issue, I think I would be a little more selective with my fees I would pay beyond my Amex Charge 

Fico Scores: EQ- 682 DCU, TU 696 Walmart, EX 695 NASA(10-6-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
63 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Valued Contributor
wmarat

MMart078 wrote:
Would it ever be justified to pay an annual fee for an exceptionally low APR for life.NO Lets say like an AMEX platinum charge card you know how it charges $450 what if for that fee they let you carry a balance every month with no interest rate? (effectively making a Credit Card)

IN VINO VERITAS.
Regular Contributor
MMart078

ok, please elaborate on your opinion.
Established Contributor
Watchmann

MMart078 wrote:
Would it ever be justified to pay an annual fee for an exceptionally low APR for life. Lets say like an AMEX platinum charge card you know how it charges $450 what if for that fee they let you carry a balance every month with no interest rate? (effectively making a Credit Card)

The cheapest credit is a PIF type of arrangement, but if you HAVE to carry a balance it certainly could be advantageous to have a fee based credit card with a low % rate rather than a fee free card with a higher APR.  You just have to do the math to see which is better. 

Regular Contributor
MMart078

my thoughts exactly
Senior Contributor
txjohn

In the end, though, the lender computes "return on investment" as a percentage, not just a dollar amount.  And the reason is there is a proportionate cost of capital.  To make it fee based, they would have to limit your CL based upon your AF in order to make the numbers work.

:smileyhappy:

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator

09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}