Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annual Fee vs APR

tag
MMart078
Regular Contributor

Annual Fee vs APR

Would it ever be justified to pay an annual fee for an exceptionally low APR for life. Lets say like an AMEX platinum charge card you know how it charges $450 what if for that fee they let you carry a balance every month with no interest rate? (effectively making a Credit Card)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Annual Fee vs APR

I have no issues paying annual fees but I guess that's just because I have had really good credit and really bad credit and the fastest way to rebuild sometimes costs some money!

However if credit was never the issue, I think I would be a little more selective with my fees I would pay beyond my Amex Charge 

Message 2 of 7
wmarat
Valued Contributor

@MMart078 wrote:
Would it ever be justified to pay an annual fee for an exceptionally low APR for life.NO Lets say like an AMEX platinum charge card you know how it charges $450 what if for that fee they let you carry a balance every month with no interest rate? (effectively making a Credit Card)

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 3 of 7
MMart078
Regular Contributor

ok, please elaborate on your opinion.
Message 4 of 7
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@MMart078 wrote:
Would it ever be justified to pay an annual fee for an exceptionally low APR for life. Lets say like an AMEX platinum charge card you know how it charges $450 what if for that fee they let you carry a balance every month with no interest rate? (effectively making a Credit Card)

The cheapest credit is a PIF type of arrangement, but if you HAVE to carry a balance it certainly could be advantageous to have a fee based credit card with a low % rate rather than a fee free card with a higher APR.  You just have to do the math to see which is better. 

Message 5 of 7
MMart078
Regular Contributor

my thoughts exactly
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the end, though, the lender computes "return on investment" as a percentage, not just a dollar amount.  And the reason is there is a proportionate cost of capital.  To make it fee based, they would have to limit your CL based upon your AF in order to make the numbers work.

Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.