Contributor
nickn86

Re: Annual Fees on cards!!

Dustink wrote:

Generally, I find AF's on starter cards a bad idea. Most of the time somebody can find a way around that if they build a relationship with a bank. Although, the AeroMexico secured card from US Bank seems worthly of its terms for somebody with no/bad credit and no relationship with a bank.

I think that's true for people with no credit, but not so much for people with bad credit.  Sometimes credit can be so bad that you can't even open a checking account!

FWIW, I took the route you suggest when my whole credit report was a student loan that had been opened for less than a year.  I had banked with Chase for awhile so I went into a branch and asked to apply for a credit card and ended up being approved for probably the most obscure Chase card out there (Chase +1 with a $300 limit).  It's actually a pretty cool looking card though -- http://www.dollarbanker.com/credit-cards/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/chase-plus-1-student-cc.jpg -- I told people it was my "black card."  :smileyvery-happy:

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Revelate

Dustink wrote:

Generally, I find AF's on starter cards a bad idea. Most of the time somebody can find a way around that if they build a relationship with a bank. Although, the AeroMexico secured card from US Bank seems worthly of its terms for somebody with no/bad credit and no relationship with a bank.

Think I justified my BOFA secured AF in the first month after I added the rewards package.

That said, you're buying a tradeline and there aren't many $0 AF options if you're in the secured / deep subprime bracket, we're talking where I started at a FICO of 560ish.  I do suppose it's based on one's own finances; however, I know I and pretty much everybody else wastes more money on far less important things than a positive tradeline: the ROI dwarfs anything I could do otherwise with the money.

Admittedly, I'm not a proponent for chasing store cards as I think that delays relationship and credit report (occasionally discounted vis a vis Chase) building rather than enhancing it, and this does color my opinion in being in favor of sucking up an AF to get a tradeline from a recognized national bank or CU.

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 679, EQ 8 708, TU 711, EX 702* (07/14/14, EX older)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ '04 (01/01/15)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
bs6054

QuantumCredit wrote:

15K for 2 people seems a little on the high side, but 20K for a family of 4 or even 3 is totally normal.

Yes, this was 3-4 people, and also depends where you shop.  Whole Foods adds up quicker than Walmart for example.

Valued Contributor
CreditScholar

QuantumCredit wrote:

15K for 2 people seems a little on the high side, but 20K for a family of 4 or even 3 is totally normal.

It is high for only 2 of us, but we eat pretty well.

FICOs: EX: 826, EQ: 817, TU: 810
Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL
Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank American Airlines Executive World Elite MasterCard - $22,500 CL
J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Valued Contributor
CreditScholar

Dustink wrote:

I have earned 90,000 points ($1800) on my flexperks card since I opened it in June. I find that worth the $49 AF that is waived with $2k monthly spend.

I also find the $450 AF on the AMEX plat worth it with the 100k MR point bonus, lounge access, and $200 incidental credit.

The question now is: are you going to keep the Amex plat after the 1st year when there's no 100k signup bonus anymore?

FICOs: EX: 826, EQ: 817, TU: 810
Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL
Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank American Airlines Executive World Elite MasterCard - $22,500 CL
J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Valued Contributor
Dustink

nickn86 wrote:

FWIW, I took the route you suggest when my whole credit report was a student loan that had been opened for less than a year.  I had banked with Chase for awhile so I went into a branch and asked to apply for a credit card and ended up being approved for probably the most obscure Chase card out there (Chase +1 with a $300 limit).  It's actually a pretty cool looking card though -- http://www.dollarbanker.com/credit-cards/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/chase-plus-1-student-cc.jpg -- I told people it was my "black card."  :smileyvery-happy:

Haha, that is awesome. 

I also started with a $300 limit. I had no credit (no tradelines of any kind). Limit went to $2500 after 6 months, hopefully you have good luck with Chase. I was with US Bank.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:21    

$14k          $8.5K          $7.5k          $7.5k         $6.5k             $6k             $5k            $5k             $5k              $5k           NPSL       @ 0%
Valued Contributor
Dustink

Revelate wrote:

Dustink wrote:

Think I justified my BOFA secured AF in the first month after I added the rewards package.

That said, you're buying a tradeline and there aren't many $0 AF options if you're in the secured / deep subprime bracket, we're talking where I started at a FICO of 560ish.  I do suppose it's based on one's own finances; however, I know I and pretty much everybody else wastes more money on far less important things than a positive tradeline: the ROI dwarfs anything I could do otherwise with the money.

Admittedly, I'm not a proponent for chasing store cards as I think that delays relationship and credit report (occasionally discounted vis a vis Chase) building rather than enhancing it, and this does color my opinion in being in favor of sucking up an AF to get a tradeline from a recognized national bank or CU.

I am all for secured rewards cards. Just not the First Premier type stuff.

$14k          $8.5K          $7.5k          $7.5k         $6.5k             $6k             $5k            $5k             $5k              $5k           NPSL       @ 0%
Contributor
nickn86

[ Edited ]

Dustink wrote:

nickn86 wrote:

Haha, that is awesome. 

I also started with a $300 limit. I had no credit (no tradelines of any kind). Limit went to $2500 after 6 months, hopefully you have good luck with Chase. I was with US Bank.

Wow, that's a crazy fast bump for never having any credit at all beforehand. I never tried to up the limit with Chase and I haven't used the card in 6 or so months since the only rewards it has are based on paying your bill on time.  I should probably use it a couple of times before I apply for other Chase cards.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
New Contributor
ItchyAppFingers

I recently got charged a $79 AF on my Orchard Bank card. I am talking about a card here with ZERO rewards or perks just a regular cc that you charge and pay. After 2 1/2 years of rebuilding I decided to close this account because it was useless to me and I have much better cards now with rewards + higher CL's. I find it outrageous to be charged $79 annually for a CL of only $400 that never grew on me for as much as I tried to request a CLI. SMH @ Crap. 1.
My Current Plastic: {Amazon Store Card} {Amazon Visa} {Amex Zync} {Amex Gold PRG} {Amex BCE} {Bloomingdales} {BOA 123 Cash Rewards} {Capital One Platinum Visa} {Chase Freedom Visa} {Discover IT} {Kohls} {Macy's} {Nordstrom} {SonyCard Visa} {Target RedCard}
Valued Contributor
Dustink

CreditScholar wrote:

Dustink wrote:

I have earned 90,000 points ($1800) on my flexperks card since I opened it in June. I find that worth the $49 AF that is waived with $2k monthly spend.

I also find the $450 AF on the AMEX plat worth it with the 100k MR point bonus, lounge access, and $200 incidental credit.

The question now is: are you going to keep the Amex plat after the 1st year when there's no 100k signup bonus anymore?

Not likely, unless I find that I can't live without lounge access. Although, that is unlikely because I am always up for going to a USO instead. 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+