New Visitor

Annual Income to receive credit card?

Hi, I'm new to all of this credit card stuff so, this may sound stupid. I'm looking into getting a credit card to help build credit. I am a light spender so, I was looking at the Amex BCE card. Well, I started to apply and then realized that I had to put my annual income. I have only been working since November of 2012. Before that I was a stay at home mom for two years and didn't generate any income. Previous to having a baby I did work. So, my question is since, I only have my W2 from 2012 to go off of and that only shows three months of income...should I estimate for the year or what? Sorry if that sounds dumb but, like I said I'm new to all this. Thanks in advance!

Valued Contributor

Re: Annual Income to receive credit card?

I would estimate your annual income based on those 3 months. You will be making a similar amount this year anyways!
Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard $20k | JCPenney Gold $10k | Shell Drive for Five $800 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $9.8k | TD Bank Easy Rewards Visa Signature $5k | Chase Sapphire Visa Signature $10k | American Express Blue Sky $13.7k | Discover IT $13k | SavingStar American Express $14.8k | American Express BCE $11.3k

FICOS: EX 759 EQ 704 TU 754 VantageScore 3.0: EX 746 EQ 747 TU 747 Credit Sesame (EX) 756 Credit.com (EX) 784
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forums!

It's always legitimate to estimate your income for the year.  On (almost) any W2 income verification, that's what the last two paystubs will show anyway.

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 700, TU 04 731, EX 98 725 (05/24/15)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ 04 (01/01/16)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor

daybreakgonesXe wrote:
I would estimate your annual income based on those 3 months. You will be making a similar amount this year anyways!

+1 ! 

And welcome to the forums!  Not a dumb question at all; we all have to start somewhere, and finding this forum is a great beginning for you! 

Diners Club Premier MasterCard $50K / AMEX Gold NPSL / AMEX Zync NPSL / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $14K / Bank of America Cash Rewards Signature Visa $15K / Merrill Lynch Plus Signature Visa $15K / Wells Fargo Propel 365 $15K / Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa $10K / J P Morgan Select Signature Visa $10K / Chase Slate Visa $6K / CITI Diamond Preferred MasterCard $13.2K / Discover IT $10.5K / IberiaBank Select Visa $8K / 1st Command Bank Platinum Visa $7.5K // Home Depot $9.7K / Lowes $10K

EX = 818 EQ = 822 TU = 830 - 01/2015
Established Contributor

Remember that most folks embellish their income claims anyway.  It a lot like a resume'.

Also, there are sources of income that you do not have to disclose if you do not want it used for consideration purposes; ie Alimony, certain investments, kickbacks from your bookie, etc etc.

the best policy is to be as accurate as you can but without volunteering more than you need.  tell the truth but maybe not volunteer that your work history is only two months out of 2012...especially if you are still with the same employer. :smileyhappy:

If since November you have made lets say 4000 per month Gross pay, then multiply 4000 x 12 months to find a yearly sum for that monthly amount and let it rip.  Two paystubs generally equal a month and they tend to just multiply that by 12 anyway.

If all else fails, they can always ask for a copy of your latest tax return.  (Don't claim kickbacks from the bookie on that tax return though)

Welcome to the forums.

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.