cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another 18 Year Old wondering about their credit...

tag
Cisneros1337
Established Member

Another 18 Year Old wondering about their credit...

Hello! I'm 18 years old (turning 19 in 4 days) And ummm..... Yeah I have too many credit cards..........

Here is my list.... starting with my First SECURED BOFA Card.(has been a year now)

Credit Card history:
10/23/2012
Applied for Kohls (Was not aware of Credit)
----------------------------------
04/22/2013
Bank of America Secured Card (300)
08/29/2013
Applied for BestBuy, Denied
11/02/2013
Kohls Charge Card(500)
12/20/2013
Capital One QuicksilverOne (1000)(39/year)
02/09/2014
Applied for AmericanExpress TrueEarning, Denied
-----------------------------------------------
02/28/2014
Applied for Capital One Venture(GOLD), Denied
02/28/2014
Applied for Bank of America Travel, DEnied
03/01/2014
Capital One Journey (500)

04/08/2014
Asked for credit Limit Increase For Kohls, Denied
----------------------------------------------------

04/08/2014
Applied for Citi ThankYou Prefferred Student, Denied
---------------------------------------------------
04/08/2014
Chase Freedom (4k)
------------------------------------------------
04/08/2014
AmericanExpress TrueEarning (1k)
04/09/2014
Macys Charge Card (was 500 but they increased to 1k in the same day)

I need help... And yes i know i have tooo many credit cards! 

Should I keep my Secured card (300 CL BofA)? The lady at the bank said if i transfer that onto a unsecured card it would hurt my credit. But that means i have to apply... 

I don't have all scores for each bureau 

On Myfico (Equifax) my score is 696 (Dropped from 722)

On my credidkarma (transunion) its 702(still isnt updated)

Idk my Experian.

Should i close some accounts? I know its a bad idea keeping a CC with an AF. I need some advice even if it hurts! 

Thanks!!!!!!!!

oh

Cards I am AIMING FOR
----------------------
Chase Sapphire (Must have 5k Credit limit on one card)(95/year Fee)
Chase Slate
Barclay Card Arrival for travel (89/year Fee)
Chase Freedom ACHIEVED
Discover Cash BacK

I don't know if it is possible getting approved for a Travel Card at this age with only 1 year of credit. But i really need one so i can use it towards flights (wanna go to japan)

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
FKS1994

Re: Another 18 Year Old wondering about their credit...

Wow, that's a huge collection for your age. I'm 19 and only have two. Maybe you should slow down on applying for now. BTW, how was the process with Freedom? Did you put a high income?

Message 2 of 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

You dont have too many cards, i have lots more than you and there are some on this board who have over 100. Just keep your utilization in check and you will be fine. If you insist in closing some only close those with an AF or MF and any unsecureds you really w.ant to have at least 24 months of history report prior to their closing. IMO you are amassing too many inquiries over a short period of time, I would not app for any further credit till they age past 6 months. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

With your current line up and cards on your wish list, have you thought about how you are going to use the cards? Does your income support the travel cards ie CSP? 

Message 4 of 16
noxxim
New Visitor

I wouldn't say that you have too many cards, but I would say that you acquired them too quickly (I've made the same mistake before). I would chill out with apping for awhile.  If you wait until May of 2015 for your next app, these inquiries will no longer affect your fico score and you will have gained a solid year of Average Age of Account (AAoA). Seriously though, if I was in your position I would keep all of the cards you currently have.  Use the ones you don't need once every two months to buy a soda or a candy bar and sock drawer them the rest of the time.  Use your Quicksilverone as your everyday spender (see below, I would consider downgrading), use the Chase Freedom in the rotating categories, and the AMEX true earnings on gas.  If you don't spend enough to make the Quicksilverone annual fee worth it (at a minimum 3k/yr), then downgrade it to a card without an annual fee--Maybe the Journey Student Rewards Card if you are eligible...effectively gives you 1.25% cash back w/ no annual fee.

Not knowing your income/spending habits, I would advise against getting cards with annual fees.  However, if your spending habits make an annual fee worth it, then do it. 

My recommendations:

-Garden

-CLI your freedom in May of 2015

-Apply for 2-3 cards after the CLI (I would stay away from anymore store cards

-Then go back to the garden for at least 6 months

-Don't take on annual fees just because the card is cool...if you can't make enough points/cash to cover the annual fee every year, then stay away from it unless it offer some other benefit that you deem worth the price (lounge membership, etc).

Be smart...take it slow...GARDEN.

- Former JPM Personal Banker (I didn't make alot of money, but at least I look the part Smiley Wink
- Professional credit analyst and personal financial planner
- I don't have a cent...ahem...a centurion.
Message 5 of 16
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Garden! Work on getting those annual fees removed and soft pull credit limit increases. I would not CLI the Freedom in May of 2015 -- 4k should be plenty for you right now.

I wouldn't apply for anything else for a while and your scores will definitely increase.
Message 6 of 16
noxxim
New Visitor

@KennyRS wrote:
Garden! Work on getting those annual fees removed and soft pull credit limit increases. I would not CLI the Freedom in May of 2015 -- 4k should be plenty for you right now.

I wouldn't apply for anything else for a while and your scores will definitely increase.

Totally valid Smiley Wink

I only mentioned that in case the CSP does make sense...having a $5k+ CL would be more important in that scenario. However, if the CSP doesn't make sense for you, don't worry about getting a CLI on your freedom.

- Former JPM Personal Banker (I didn't make alot of money, but at least I look the part Smiley Wink
- Professional credit analyst and personal financial planner
- I don't have a cent...ahem...a centurion.
Message 7 of 16
sexy_kitten7
Regular Contributor

@Cisneros1337 wrote:

----------------------
Chase Sapphire   Wait at least 1 year
Chase Slate       This is a BT card wo/rewards. Not worth it IMO.
Barclay Card Arrival for travel     Apply once FICO's ~740
Chase Freedom ACHIEVED
Discover Cash BacK    Apply once FICO's ~700

I agree with the others: you don't have too many cards and your FICO is fine. It will take a hit once your latest cards start reporting and then rebound.

I think people are too conservative on here (as evidenced by my signature). It sounds like you understand AORs quite well, but I'd limit myself to 1 new account per 90 days. Make sure you'll be approved, otherwise you've wasted a HP. Do the It next, then let your FICO improve until you're a good candidate for the BCA.

See if your BoA can graduate to an unsecured tradeline. If it can't, I would cancel around the 11th month mark. Same goes for any fee card you've sock-drawered. Never close no-fee accounts. They help your util and AAoA.

Good luck!

Quicksilver MC / Amazon.com / Better Balance Rewards Visa / Freedom / Dividend / Quicksilver Visa / Cash+ / Thank You Preferred / Blue Cash Everyday / Better Balance Rewards MC / BankAmericard HRC Cash Rewards / It / Arrival / FlexPerks / Platinum AAdvantage / MileagePlus Explorer / LifeMiles
Message 8 of 16
Cisneros1337
Established Member

WOW! Thanks Guys for the amazing feedback! I have been using myfico for a month or two and i never posted on the forums. I just read a lot, learned a lot aswell. I'm going to start gardening. No more apps until a 6month-1 year. Thanks again guys!

Message 9 of 16
Cisneros1337
Established Member

I put household income Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.