cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another 18 Year Old wondering about their credit...

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Another 18 Year Old wondering about their credit...

@Cisneros1337 wrote:

I put household income Smiley Happy

Do you have unfettered access to your parents accounts? Are they aware of or being asked to sign on your apps? 

Message 11 of 16
mnavas
Frequent Contributor

@Cisneros1337 wrote:

Hello! I'm 18 years old (turning 19 in 4 days) And ummm..... Yeah I have too many credit cards..........

Here is my list.... starting with my First SECURED BOFA Card.(has been a year now)

Credit Card history:
10/23/2012
Applied for Kohls (Was not aware of Credit)
----------------------------------
04/22/2013
Bank of America Secured Card (300)
08/29/2013
Applied for BestBuy, Denied
11/02/2013
Kohls Charge Card(500)
12/20/2013
Capital One QuicksilverOne (1000)(39/year)
02/09/2014
Applied for AmericanExpress TrueEarning, Denied
-----------------------------------------------
02/28/2014
Applied for Capital One Venture(GOLD), Denied
02/28/2014
Applied for Bank of America Travel, DEnied
03/01/2014
Capital One Journey (500)

04/08/2014
Asked for credit Limit Increase For Kohls, Denied
----------------------------------------------------

04/08/2014
Applied for Citi ThankYou Prefferred Student, Denied
---------------------------------------------------
04/08/2014
Chase Freedom (4k)
------------------------------------------------
04/08/2014
AmericanExpress TrueEarning (1k)
04/09/2014
Macys Charge Card (was 500 but they increased to 1k in the same day)

I need help... And yes i know i have tooo many credit cards! 

Should I keep my Secured card (300 CL BofA)? The lady at the bank said if i transfer that onto a unsecured card it would hurt my credit. But that means i have to apply... 

I don't have all scores for each bureau 

On Myfico (Equifax) my score is 696 (Dropped from 722)

On my credidkarma (transunion) its 702(still isnt updated)

Idk my Experian.

Should i close some accounts? I know its a bad idea keeping a CC with an AF. I need some advice even if it hurts! 

Thanks!!!!!!!!

oh

Cards I am AIMING FOR
----------------------
Chase Sapphire (Must have 5k Credit limit on one card)(95/year Fee)
Chase Slate
Barclay Card Arrival for travel (89/year Fee)
Chase Freedom ACHIEVED
Discover Cash BacK

I don't know if it is possible getting approved for a Travel Card at this age with only 1 year of credit. But i really need one so i can use it towards flights (wanna go to japan)

Wow did you applied for a Store card on your own when you were under 18? They shouldn't have allowed you apply for credit at that time.

You have a nice portafolio at such a young. Congrats 

i don't think you need more credit accounts on your profile  anytime soon. Just keep all your accounts current and let them age a bit.

Message 12 of 16
Cisneros1337
Established Member

Just kidding I didnt add household income. if i did i wouldv gotten more than 4k ( i think) 

And yeah the people at kohls made me apply. I had no clue what i was doing... This whole time i thought my credit wouldnt have been affected since i was only 17.. Oh well... 

Message 13 of 16
Josh2942
Established Contributor

No such thing as to many cards in my hymn opinion. I'm 19 and have 20 TLs. The important thing is not to over utilized and STOP APPLYING! Your just taking hit after hit. If you want to do an app spree you gotta let these cards age. 6 months helped me go from two to 20 cards and from 1200 in total credit to nearly 30,000. What I do is called the credit shuffle. When I go out with friends I have them pay me and I use my card. I rack up points and gain more payment history. I also have certain cards have reacurring bills. I.e cell phone, auto insurance, cable, etc. I also pay every week so that I always have 0 balances and only carry a balance on 0% interest cards. You won't be getting a slate card until you have two years of history. I moved my checking to chase and opened a freedom because I really want the Southwest, Hyatt, and CSP. Mostly CSP tho. Stop opening store cards to. It's a waist full ding unless you really shop there. Or it's a GE backed cards. They have been quite gracious to me.
Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 14 of 16
asulaw
Established Member

Welcome to inquiry city!

Not a bad set up you've got going, stay good with Amex and Chase definitely. In my opinion, these guys are the best when it comes to getting some nice rewards to use. As for the CSP, do you think you spend enough for it? I am 21 and I don't think I spend enough to use a card like that, but I am also in college and have different preferences. I have a hard time with cards that cannot blatantly spell out why I should spend a fee on it. If I put every dime I spent onto a CSP then it would make sense for me. 

I would cool down the inquiries before you do a lot with getting new credit. Leave the BoA as it is now I would assume, you're just starting to slip out of the 700's and believe me once that happens you will hate being in the 600's. Your AAoA is too young so it will take time before you start to seeing some of the nicer offers you see on the forums here. Even I can't touch some of this stuff until I have a salary to support it.

Anyways, good luck and don't get into trouble!

Wells Fargo Student - $2,300 / Discover It - $2,000 / Chase Slate - $1,500 / Marriott Premier Rewards - $5,000 / Citi ThankYou Preferred - $2,000 / AMEX TrueEarnings - $1,200 / Target RedCard - $300

Total CL: $14,300
Util: 28%
Message 15 of 16
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

Well you have all those cards now, no use in closing them. The good thing you have going for you is that after some time you are more buffered in AAoA if you do decide to pare down on some accounts. Also, further new applications would not be as big of a hit on your AAoA. That being said, you gotta have some restraint when it comes to opening credit lines. Just focus on improving the relationships that you have now, quality > quantity with lenders.

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.