Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another AMEX Thread

tag
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

Another AMEX Thread

So I call AMEX to temporarily suspend my account because I can't remember if I left my card in my other coat or if I lost it. CSR says they would have to cancel the card and re-issue a new one. So I decide to chance financial ruin and wait out the 4 hours until I get home to check my coat instead. In the meantime, the CSR was nice enough to pull up my account and alert to a 12 year old open AMEX account that I had when I was still a credit moron. Said I have an open balance of just under $400 that needs to be cleared up.

At first I think, damn this sucks! I don't want to pay such an old debt. I could use that $400 on booze and women. Then a light bulb goes off (in my head, not in my office) and I realize that I could get them to backdate my new account making it a 13 year old account. Hello magic land of big-time AAoA's! The CSR says that once I clear up the account, I can have my current account backdated. Of course, having learned my lessons from the temple of myFico, I never used the word backdating, opting for the more politically and socially correct term of "altering my Member Since Date".

I promptly schedule a payment for the old account, and the CSR rep says that once the payment clears, they will re-issue my current card with the new member since date.

X X OO AMEX XX OO Smiley Very Happy

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Another AMEX Thread

Nice initiative to pay off that old debt and bump your AAoA at the same time!

Message 2 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Very cool ! Sounds like a win~win proposition.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 9
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

WOW! 

can they find me an old 400$ bill? 
ill gladly pay that to backdate too 2000. (i was 9 LOL)

well lets hope this pans out. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 4 of 9
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I just got a text from Booze and Women: They ain't happy. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 9
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@NJTurnpike wrote:

So I call AMEX to temporarily suspend my account because I can't remember if I left my card in my other coat or if I lost it. CSR says they would have to cancel the card and re-issue a new one. So I decide to chance financial ruin and wait out the 4 hours until I get home to check my coat instead. In the meantime, the CSR was nice enough to pull up my account and alert to a 12 year old open AMEX account that I had when I was still a credit moron. Said I have an open balance of just under $400 that needs to be cleared up.

At first I think, damn this sucks! I don't want to pay such an old debt. I could use that $400 on booze and women. Then a light bulb goes off (in my head, not in my office) and I realize that I could get them to backdate my new account making it a 13 year old account. Hello magic land of big-time AAoA's! The CSR says that once I clear up the account, I can have my current account backdated. Of course, having learned my lessons from the temple of myFico, I never used the word backdating, opting for the more politically and socially correct term of "altering my Member Since Date".

I promptly schedule a payment for the old account, and the CSR rep says that once the payment clears, they will re-issue my current card with the new member since date.

You're a great writer - and good luck with the account!

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 6 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@NJTurnpike wrote:

I don't know why but I can clearly visualize the light bulb, booze and women. Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

$400 well spent

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 9
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

Update: So since today is pay day, I called American Express to pay the outstanding $400 bill. After talking with Research and Recovery again, they said that the account had been settled back in 2006 and I was under no obligation to repay any remaining balance. In addition, leaving that outstanding balance alone would not affect my current or future accounts at all.

That said, she was more than happy to update my member since date to reflect my 2000 account.

My 1 month old account is now 13 years old. Great way to start the day.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.