Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another AU Question

tag
rbizzle
Contributor

Another AU Question

If someone were to add an AU that is currently undergoing credit problems, such as chargeoff's and what not.  Will that negativly affect the primary card holders relatonship wtih a credit card company?  I've tried searching for answers on here but got a mixed bag of answers.

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Another AU Question

@rbizzle wrote:

If someone were to add an AU that is currently undergoing credit problems, such as chargeoff's and what not.  Will that negativly affect the primary card holders relatonship wtih a credit card company?  I've tried searching for answers on here but got a mixed bag of answers.

Only the history of the card that you are an AU is on effects you. You only want to be an AU on a card that is older than your AAoA perferably much older, and with a UTL of less than 30% perferably much lower. If it can't meet those criteria don't become an AU on the card. Be certain that the primary on the card notifies you before any lates or other negatives will effect the card so you can remove your self from the card or help resolve the issue if you value the TL or friendship enough to help out. Also note that the card may be CLD'd or closed without notice if the primary has any other baddies or negs show up on their report. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 9
rbizzle
Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@rbizzle wrote:

Only the history of the card that you are an AU is on effects you. You only want to be an AU on a card that is older than your AAoA perferably much older, and with a UTL of less than 30% perferably much lower. If it can't meet those criteria don't become an AU on the card. Be certain that the primary on the card notifies you before any lates or other negatives will effect the card so you can remove your self from the card or help resolve the issue if you value the TL or friendship enough to help out. Also note that the card may be CLD'd or closed without notice if the primary has any other baddies or negs show up on their report. 

But lets say I'm the primary card holder and I add an AU who has let there credit go, and has current charges off and possible wage garnishments will that hurt me?

Message 3 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@rbizzle wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

@rbizzle wrote:

But lets say I'm the primary card holder and I add an AU who has let there credit go, and has current charges off and possible wage garnishments will that hurt me?

You really don't want to go there...   is the AU a friend, boyfriend, sibling, parent?  Whats the relationship there? 

Honestly, if they treat their creditors this way, and abuse the account that they are AU on, they could likely view you as another creditor later on, after theyve spent on your card and refuse to pay  you for the charges they incurred.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

rbizzle wrote:

No. There is no aspect of the AU's personal credit profile that can impact you.

Message 5 of 9
rbizzle
Contributor

Its my best friends mother.  She ran into some issues with her husband who happened to the be the bread winner and she doesn't work and basically told her to take half all the bills.  Well obviously not working that can be a problem.  So she wasn't able to pay and this is whats become of it.  So my friend was thinking about adding her mother as AU on one of her cards for emergency purposes, but didn't want her negative credit file to effect anything that she has done to rebuild her credit.  I was just curious about how that might play out.

Message 6 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Your friend could add her mother onto the card, as long as she is sure that the mother will not use and abuse her card...  The mother's poor credit history will not lower your friends FICO

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 9
rbizzle
Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

Your friend could add her mother onto the card, as long as she is sure that the mother will not use and abuse her card...  The mother's poor credit history will not lower your friends FICO

Well thats good to know! Thank you! Its just been a long road for her to rebuild over the past few years and shes finally back on track and i'd hate to see it all go to waste.

Message 8 of 9
rbizzle
Contributor

Even though its not me in the situation it just makes me nervous that she would suffer some sort of AA or something.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.