Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Amex Blue Req Question regarding UT

tag
SubseaEngineer
Valued Member

Another Amex Blue Req Question regarding UT

With a mortgage (1.5 years old), 3 late payments on a credit card (all 30 day) in last 6 years, spaced 1 year apart, last one was 3+ years ago, also have a 6 year old 60-day, 90-day, and 120-day (I was unemployed for a few months).

Have 2 dept store cards under 15% UT (1 card is 14 years old, the other is 1 year old).

Have 2 sears cards both at 40% UT (1 card is 15 years old, the other is 9 months old).

Have a discover card at 40% UT (9 months old, $7,500 credit limit).

AAOA is 9+ years old, oldest acct is 15 years, I have current auto loan ($24K), 1 paid off auto loan, 4 student loans (total amt is $35K)

Continuously employed for last 5.5 years, income is about $145K.

Any thoughts on whether this UT is too high to apply for Amex Blue Cash Preferred/Everyday?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

Re: Another Amex Blue Req Question regarding UT

I would think they would not approve due to util, and too many accounts with balances. But YMMV, obviously. Any idea of your EX score?

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 2 of 8
SubseaEngineer
Valued Member

Fico is 693, I'm waiting for an old collection to fall off in Nov, expecting it to jump over 700.  After the old collection falls off is when I have been planning to apply (end of November).

If I wait till end of December UT on all 3 cards will be 30%.

Message 3 of 8
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

You may be better off waiting. The fewer collections, and the lower the Util, the better when trying for AMEX. Where did you get that FICO?

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Message 4 of 8
SubseaEngineer
Valued Member

Got the Fico from here, like... 2 days ago.

I def wont apply until collection falls off.  So that will be gone.

My question is (given rest of my credit report), what level of utilization is going to block me from being approved.

Message 5 of 8
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

I asked about the FICO because AMEX mainly pulls a credit score from Experian, and that score is not available on My Fico, so maybe you pulled your Equifax score.

I would say your Util, should be under 30% to get this card. But this is only my opinion. I am sure others will chime in as well.

Message 6 of 8
SubseaEngineer
Valued Member

Ah, yeah, my scores are as follows:

Fico Eq:  693 (Fako 691)

Fako Ex:  680

Fico TU:  673

Message 7 of 8
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Your scores should jump significantly once the collection drops off in Nov.  Considering the rest of the info you posted,  I would guess anything under the 40% might allow you to be approved for any in the Blue series at that point.  JMHO.

With your income,  you should have little to no problem getting your UTIL under the 40% mark or even quite lower (if it's because of 0% offers, just inform AMEX of that, they tend to understand).

You can always check on their website pre-selected site too (or whatever they call it) to see if you're on their radar, or maybe get on their radar.  However, if they have no offers for you, it doesn't mean they won't approve you.  I never had any offers on their site "offer checker" myself.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.