Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Barclay CLD

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Another Barclay CLD

Lol, Mitch, probably everyone knows Barclays plays by their own rules its just i dont think anyone can read their EnglishSmiley Wink
Message 21 of 45
cmm89
Frequent Contributor

@ mitch --- I understand every bank has their own rules. I rarely see big SL's with Barclays... not many CLI's... almost always someone posting about a bad experience or CLD. So I'll avoid them as a lender. I have no need for any of their products.

What I use (& strongly recommend): Chase Sapphire Reserve | BofA/ML (Premium Rewards VS, Cash Rewards VS, Merrill+ VS) | AmEx (Amazon Prime Business)

What I have: NFCU | PenFed | General Electric CU | Wright Patt CU | Discover | BBVA | Apple Card (GS)

Total CL with Bank of America = $100,000 (Platinum Honors Merrill Client). I am a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner, so feel free to message me if you have any planning/credit questions.

EQ 759, EX 765, TU 771 (06/10/2022)

I started with scores in the 400s in 2016. This forum is a Godsend--focus on the journey, be patient, and you'll definitely get there no matter the circumstances!

Message 22 of 45
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@cmm89 wrote:

@ mitch --- I understand every bank has their own rules. I rarely see big SL's with Barclays... not many CLI's... almost always someone posting about a bad experience or CLD. So I'll avoid them as a lender. I have no need for any of their products.

Yey, as a quality lender they're all but toast anymore with the rare exception for a few of those fortunate members here who somehow have managed to get penned in barclays favorable list.

Hoping against hope that they're able to stay firmly on that choice keeper list because they would probably freak, feel let down after so much history for so long and then go on a bashing tirade of their own. Smiley Very Happy

Message 23 of 45
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

What "this" does Barclay's have? Random as hell CLDs?

That is NOT in the same league as knowing Chase has a 5/24 rule or that CO triple pulls.

And I don't recall ever saying I was surprised. I posted because that's what people do here...post their experiences with card issuers.

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 24 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrsCHX

I would have to agree...chase's 5/24 rule is applied equally always with the same result. Barclay not at all...some get a CLD for $125 bal, others don't.
Message 25 of 45
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@MrsCHX

I would have to agree...chase's 5/24 rule is applied equally always with the same result. Barclay not at all...some get a CLD for $125 bal, others don't.

So Chase doesn't have CLD or close cards? I've read on here that it happens.. For similar reason's, too many inq or too much cash or not using it enough etc.. I get that this frustrates people though with the OP it seems it was a card that seldom gets used.. Maybe it happens with Barclays more but it happens with all of them. You play this game long enough and you'll probably get hit with a CLD, or closed card etc. eventually.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 26 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

No one said Chase doesn't CLD or close accts. What I'm saying is 5/24 by definition is a rule. Randomly CLD people for some ambiguous reason is not much of a rule at all. Sure we have some idea but nothing with reliable results.
Message 27 of 45
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
No one said Chase doesn't CLD or close accts. What I'm saying is 5/24 by definition is a rule. Randomly CLD people for some ambiguous reason is not much of a rule at all. Sure we have some idea but nothing with reliable results.

It doesn't look that random to me. Lots of inquiries/new accounts/total credit...mediocre scores. It's often the same story. If it was random, we'd be seeing occasional reports of CLDs from people with 770+ FICOs.

I don't see what's ambiguous about "too many recent inquiries" when someone has a total of 24 on TU.

Barclaycard can be fickle, CLDing someone whose credit hasn't changed much since inital approval (as in 24 inquiries vs. ~20)...but a semi-toy $1.3k SL does convey some initial concerns.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 28 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry this has happened to you.

I currently have five barclay cards and always wonder when/if the hammer will come down on me. I do keep my UTIL at 0 though.

Choice
JetBlue Plus
Apple
Arrival
Wyndham AF
Message 29 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm using a mobile so I have no way to see users signatures. I will say 24 inquiries is a lot and certainly makes the situation seem predictable given that it's Barclay. As you say though why 24 why not 20...and what exactly is to many. The problem I see is the whole reason for a CLD is to reduce risk I just don't see how reducing a 1300 limit down to 1000 with only a 125 bal is much change in risk.
Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.