Did you mean: 

Another Cap 1 trade line

tag
NP27
Established Contributor

Re: Another Cap 1 trade line

@Anonymous wrote:
Because of the small lines

Are you saying that they have 11 cards because of the small lines or that having 2 cap 1 cards is not good because of the small lines?

I know its not anything crazy high, but my QS1 started off at 3,000.  I know most people here with a plat or QS1 start off at 300.00.

So, if I could add another 3k, I think that would be good

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

No guarantees. Your next card could very well start at $300 w CapOne. Do you really want to risk that?
Message 12 of 17
NP27
Established Contributor

no i do not

Message 13 of 17
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@NP27 wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

IMO the short answer is no. 

How old are your current cards? How many inq do you have on your reports and do you know your Fico scores? What is your util?

scores are 630s across the board.  current cards are new within the last 3 months.  util is less than 10%.

If you wouldnt mind, why do you have 11 cards (2 BOAs), but tell me that having more than 1 Cap 1 card is not a good idea.

Let me explain. The main reason against a 2nd Cap1 card at this stage is because I truly think there are better cards out there in a year for you. You have the QS1 already and this is one of the best cards in terms of rewards and many card for excellent credit like QS VS  you would not qualify at this stage yet.  Not sure why you would want to apply for the Platinum if you have QS1 already or apply for the exact same card?

What I would do in your situation is garden for a year, let your score come up and then go for Discover IT or  Freedom as these cards would bring you different benefits and diversification in terms of lenders.  But if you are really interested in a  2nd Cap1 card and rather do a triple pull for another Cap1 card instead of a Discover IT, Freedom or an Amex then it is your choice. But definitely not now with the thin file and the new accounts. A new card  would not do any good for you at this time.  You need to age  your new accounts, let your score come up and then you can select different cards which bring you different benefits and will have more perspective to grow with you. If you did not have already several new Barclaycards I would also have suggested Sallie Mae.  Just come and join us in the garden and in a year apply for other than Cap1 cards.

As you might have noticed I tried to get in with all the big banks and select a card from them that get me some benefits for my spending pattern. The multiple BofA, Chase and Barclaycards offer me completely different benefits and this is the reason for the multiple accounts.  Don't get me wrong I am perfectly happy with my Cap1 card but would not know which Cap1 card woud bring me anything I do not already have from Barclays or Chase. I have in IMO the best Cap1 card already and will keep it .

Message 14 of 17
NP27
Established Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@NP27 wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

How old are your current cards? How many inq do you have on your reports and do you know your Fico scores? What is your util?

scores are 630s across the board.  current cards are new within the last 3 months.  util is less than 10%.

If you wouldnt mind, why do you have 11 cards (2 BOAs), but tell me that having more than 1 Cap 1 card is not a good idea.

Let me explain. The main reason against a 2nd Cap1 card at this stage is because I truly think there are better cards out there in a year for you. You have the QS1 already and this is one of the best cards in terms of rewards and many card for excellent credit like QS VS  you would not qualify at this stage yet.  Not sure why you would want to apply for the Platinum if you have QS1 already or apply for the exact same card?

What I would do in your situation is garden for a year, let your score come up and then go for Discover IT or  Freedom as these cards would bring you different benefits and diversification in terms of lenders.  But if you are really interested in a  2nd Cap1 card and rather do a triple pull for another Cap1 card instead of a Discover IT, Freedom or an Amex then it is your choice. But definitely not now with the thin file and the new accounts. A new card  would not do any good for you at this time.  You need to age  your new accounts, let your score come up and then you can select different cards which bring you different benefits and will have more perspective to grow with you. If you did not have already several new Barclaycards I would also have suggested Sallie Mae.  Just come and join us in the garden and in a year apply for other than Cap1 cards.

As you might have noticed I tried to get in with all the big banks and select a card from them that get me some benefits for my spending pattern. The multiple BofA, Chase and Barclaycards offer me completely different benefits and this is the reason for the multiple accounts.  Don't get me wrong I am perfectly happy with my Cap1 card but would not know which Cap1 card woud bring me anything I do not already have from Barclays or Chase. I have in IMO the best Cap1 card already and will keep it .

Thanks for the explanation.  That was much more clarifying than your first reply, which was NO Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, thanks.
Message 16 of 17
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

@NP27 wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

It's not that having multiple from one lender is bad. I feel like timing is more important. With your lines being 3 months old you haven't had time to build a nice history to get you higher lines. I feel like another card with cap 1 now will only result in low CL that you will regret in a year. After a year of good history you won't get toy limits even with cap 1.

Most with cap 1 cards with low scores get stuck with low limits for years. Make your next triple pull count!

Good luck!

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.