Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Capital One sucks story....

tag
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Re: Another Capital One sucks story....

I don't remember ever getting a replacement card (whether I asked for one or if the CCC sent one automatically) that I didn't have to activate before using.  I just got a replacement card for my BoA account a couple months ago and I had to call to activate it. Before doing so, I tried to use the old card (that  had expired and I didn't notice) and it didn't work. I'm guessing the account suspended when your old card expired. Doesn't seem like anything unusual.  I'm surprised they're willing to allow anyone to keep an account that had gone unused for so long really.

I really can't imagine any CCC sending out an active, ready to use card in the mail. What if it were lost and got into the wrong hands?

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 11 of 18
spigot

When I was first starting out rebuilding, I remember First Premier sending out both of my cards pre-activated. Any thief would've had about $15 available credit after all the fees, though. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 18
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@spigot wrote:

When I was first starting out rebuilding, I remember First Premier sending out both of my cards pre-activated. Any thief would've had about $15 available credit after all the fees, though. Smiley Happy

lol.  that's the truth.  And I'm pretty sure if there was a way for FP to charge an "activation fee" they would be all over it like white on rice.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 13 of 18
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@spigot wrote:

lol.  that's the truth.  And I'm pretty sure if there was a way for FP to charge an "activation fee" they would be all over it like white on rice.

Don't they already do that?

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been a capital one customer for 8 years.  They charged me $70 in overdraft  fees, after i deposited 600 bucks in the same day the charges occured.  They held both of my PAYROLL checks to post the next day so they could charge me the overdrafts.   ONE OF THESES $35 DOLLAR CHARGES WAS FOR A 7.99 DIRECT WITHDRAWL.  If you use Capital One, I strongly suggest you change banks.  They are not loyal to their customers, my account has been hacked 3 times over the past 8 years while banking with them, and they have no customer courtesy.  They will steal from you any chance they get.   They told me they could not weave the overdraft fees because it was not a bank member error.  They put a hold on my payroll checks.  The same payroll checks I have been depositing for the past 8 years.   I am closing all accounts with capital one.  They are so greedy that they would perfer to lose a loyal customer and all the interest the accure  from my account over $70.00 that I should have never been charged. 

[Post edited slightly to remove profanity.  I know you are upset about Cap One, as are many others on these boards, but please keep it G-rated.  Thank you, and welcome to the FICO Forums.]

Message 15 of 18
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

im willing to be they suspended the account due to you not using the old card for so long then you tried to use the new card without activating it. despite what peggy told you that you should be good to go when you recieve the card, every card needs to be activated when you recieve it. its for your own safety

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 16 of 18
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@spigot wrote:

Wow, that could have created some real problems.  I actually at one point got a First Premier card and then I thought better of it and cancelled it.  It was a good thing I did that as it still reports good history many many years later.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 17 of 18
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

So you really should ask yourself; Do you really want the hassle of Capital One.  In eight years their policies haven't changed much.  If you are a subprime cardholder you may never get a credit limit increase.  I have been with them over two years and never gotten a credit limit increase with perfect history with them.  I pay the balance off each month, never actually go over my limit, never had a check returned, and have also never had an issue with this on other accounts I have.  Nothing, not even a bump of $50.  I have a gas card that I have never spent over $150 on in a single month which started off as a $150 limit and it has been increased to twice.  It's not even been opened a year.  The limit is higher than that of Capital One.  I have a Belks department store card that started with a $200 limit that I have never used and now after 3 months it has a limit of $800.  After 3 months my Walmart card has doubled my limit to $1000 and I have never spent more than $150 on it either.  I have newer credit cards with with limits 5 times that of Capital One. 

So, do you really want the HASSLE of having a Capital One card? 

I expect that about 5 years after I die they will raise the limit to $750

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.