Another Infamous "Should I close my secured CC now" thread

tag
MrxLeo
Contributor

Re: Another Infamous "Should I close my secured CC now" thread

@Springer wrote:

I think he's referring to this

Multi Browser Method

Yes. The reason I'm asking is because it looks like you applied with numerous creditors at the same time and most creditors are inquiry sensitive. They will be cautious to give you credit if they seen that there are a bunch of different inquiries in a short span. That's why I'm wondering if you did it all at the same time so they couldn't see the other pulls from the other creditors?

Starting Score: 609
Current Score: EX: 723 (08/18), TU: 741 (08/15), EQ: 695(08/15)
Goal Score: 785

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrxLeo wrote:

@Springer wrote:

Multi Browser Method

Yes. The reason I'm asking is because it looks like you applied with numerous creditors at the same time and most creditors are inquiry sensitive. They will be cautious to give you credit if they seen that there are a bunch of different inquiries in a short span. That's why I'm wondering if you did it all at the same time so they couldn't see the other pulls from the other creditors?

I did apply for numerious creditors at same time, but I think what helped me is I had a fraud alert on my report so I was stil able to get approved with my strong score low util %, even though i had numerous inquiries and new account age

Message 12 of 23
MrxLeo
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Discover and Chase also pulled TU on recon.

USAA only Equifax

Before i called to recon Citi I froze my EXP and TU, I should have done this before I apped for Discover and Chase I prob would have recieved higher limits

Interesting. So it seems like the fraud alert actually helped your case in the manual review. Your total credit limit was very low when you applied also that's why I'm surprised the limits you were able to get. I guess that didn't that much of a factor in CC approvals. Do you mind stating your annual income?  That probably was a big factor in their decision. 

Also, how were you able to freeze your accounts?  Did you call the CBAs directly to request it?  

Thanks for all the info!

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

to freeze credit reports you can do it online

just google transunion freeze, experian freeze

Its $10 if you havent been a victim of identity theft

my highest limit was the secured CC from my CU at $2k

I did have a Kay jewelers card that was paid off and closed between 2006-2007 dont remember what my limit was back then but im sure it wasnt that much.

Income is $43k

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

BTW USAA is known for giving out huge limits as long as you have a good score.. which i did and im sure refi my auto loan with the, helped them give me my huge limit

Message 15 of 23
MrxLeo
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

BTW USAA is known for giving out huge limits as long as you have a good score.. which i did and im sure refi my auto loan with the, helped them give me my huge limit

What was your score before you applied?  

Message 16 of 23
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Why did you change your mind about 1st Tech CU?

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wolf3 wrote:

Why did you change your mind about 1st Tech CU?

seems like they are ultra conservative and their rates arent as good as other CU/USAA that I have seen.. Plus they are experian only puller and thats my worst file...

Message 18 of 23
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@Springer wrote:

Multi Browser Method

I don't mean to threadjack, but this article sounds like a bunch of crap. Not only do they make no mention about making sure whether or not the CCCs you're apping for pull from the same bureau, but it starts with this *headdesk* worthy tidbit:

"Open up Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome all in private mode.  I use private mode and different browsers to ensure the credit bureaus don’t see my other inquiries."

No. Just... NO. That is NOT how private browsing works.

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrxLeo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What was your score before you applied?  

I didnt know my new score once the last collection came up until I applied..

FICO Score from USAA & Discover = 743

Prior to that my score was 588 Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.