Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Look at Justice Federal Credit Union

tag
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Another Look at Justice Federal Credit Union

This credit union isn't open to everyone but you might be surprised at the number of people who are eligible or can become eligible.  In any case, kind of old school credit union so expect a fairly manual process to join and app for credit.  However, they are nice enough to work with.

What made them interesting in the past in their JLOC (Justice Line of Credit) which had some unique features (which I won't go into now) that helped some people's credit.

However, I just noticed something VERY INTERESTING with some of their checking accounts.

They have some checking accounts that offer CU Reward points for signature purchases on their VISA Debit Cards.  Basically points translate into one cent per point in value and you get one point per dollar spent.  Even better, until end of August, you actually get 2 points per dollar spent.  Basically this is unique.  Even at its height, I was only getting one point/mile per $2 dollars spent with any of .  Given the changes in VISA Debit card transactions, pretty much everyone has done away with VISA Debit Rewards.  Its unclear if VISA Debit rewards will continue but I'm not aware of any banks or CUs that currently still offer rewards for VISA Debit transactions of any sort.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Re: Another Look at Justice Federal Credit Union

do they do hp for opening an account (ie check/sav)? Smiley Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 2 of 16
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

@Crashem Long time no see!! Good to see you back, mate.

I tried joining JFCU back in Nov last year. It has been the only denial on my personal record since last May. Sent way too many documents and spent a little more than I would have liked to. Oh well.

Message 3 of 16
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Their LOC reports as an installment TL. Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 16
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@MustangSaluki wrote:

I tried joining JFCU back in Nov last year. It has been the only denial on my personal record since last May. Sent way too many documents and spent a little more than I would have liked to. Oh well.

Yeah they do require a lot of paperwork.  What did you get denied for?  Credit product or entrance into Justice?  In any case, its sad that my among my best reward cards is the Justice VISA Debit card.

Message 5 of 16
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@djc1puno wrote:

do they do hp for opening an account (ie check/sav)? Smiley Happy

Like a lot of CUs, there is a HP to join but if I remember correctly, you can use same HP for your credit application.

Message 6 of 16
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

@MustangSaluki wrote:

Yeah they do require a lot of paperwork.  What did you get denied for?  Credit product or entrance into Justice?  In any case, its sad that my among my best reward cards is the Justice VISA Debit card.

Denied entrance to JFCU. Score was 808 on EQ at the time of application. Erma grilled me a lot on the application and asked me point blank if I joined NSA just for JFCU and I promptly said yes. After two rounds of faxes of pay stubs/W2s/W8-BEN and what not there was one thing I couldn't overcome. 

Denied because I am not a US Citizen or Permanent Resident. I thought I would squeak by and actually knew it would take a miracle to get in because I only have the Employment Authorization Document so far. They asked me to apply again in future once I have the Green Card, but I am not so sure I will apply again. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 16
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Mustang,

Justice is kind of a pain that way.

Message 8 of 16
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

thanks for the info, crashem! will keep this in mind Smiley Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 9 of 16
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

Yup I knew what I was getting into pretty much. My credit ego needed a reality check Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.