tag
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Another blow to amex

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditJim wrote:

I'm glad I transferred 182k MR to BA during the last bonus!!

Lucky you. I will probably have 130k MR to not get a bonus on! Smiley Sad

Transfer em to BA, move all spend to CSP or something, which offers 1:1 to BA. 

With the drop

CSP only trumps the EDP (with bonus) and PRG on Restaurants and Travel (non-airfare or gas ones).

EDP (with bonus) yeilds 2.4 avios on gas, 3.6 avios on groceries and 1.2 avios on everything else.

PRG yeilds 2.4 avios on airfare.

The SPG AmEx yeilds about 2.5 avios on SPG stays and 1.25 avios on everything else.

AmEx MR isn't dead, it just worth less now sadly.

However, many of us don't want maximum annual fees.  IMHO, EDP not worth annual fee.  Easier to get awards via 5% cards like Ink and Freedom, then transfer with Ink or CSP.  Also, not into hotel cards.  Too many annual fees for those MR points.  The fact that they are worth less, just makes Chase the more logical choice.

Signature needs updating
Message 11 of 15
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

With the drop

CSP only trumps the EDP (with bonus) and PRG on Restaurants and Travel (non-airfare or gas ones).

EDP (with bonus) yeilds 2.4 avios on gas, 3.6 avios on groceries and 1.2 avios on everything else.

The SPG AmEx yeilds about 2.5 avios on SPG stays and 1.25 avios on everything else.

In addition to which, we can't be sure which side of the equation is causing the devaluation. Maybe Amex is, but it's just as likely that British Airways is forcing them to because they want more money. If it's in fact BA that's the culprit here, UR points will eventually fall victim to it as well. Especially considering the fact Amex issues a cobranded British Airways card in the UK.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

word!

Message 13 of 15
RaiseMyScoreASAP
Regular Contributor

I am dispppointed I have to learn about this change via the internet boards. Why can't AMEX just be transparent and keep their card members informed? They are devaluing an important part of the product. I contacted the AMEX reps who of course have no info on what this is. 

Message 14 of 15
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditJim wrote:

I'm glad I transferred 182k MR to BA during the last bonus!!

Lucky you. I will probably have 130k MR to not get a bonus on! Smiley Sad

With the drop

However, many of us don't want maximum annual fees.  IMHO, EDP not worth annual fee.  Easier to get awards via 5% cards like Ink and Freedom, then transfer with Ink or CSP.  Also, not into hotel cards.  Too many annual fees for those MR points.  The fact that they are worth less, just makes Chase the more logical choice.

CSP + Freedom is a great all-around combo for rewards. I never would have known about pairing them if I didn't join these forums. I just need my CSP now Smiley Happy 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.