cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another dreaded Barclay's question

tag
idajedd

Another dreaded Barclay's question

So.  I've been rebuilding for the last 2 years or so.  The first card I got was a US Bank Secured, I threw the minimum $300 at it and never thought much about it.  I also got a CreditOne (blech) and Walmart, but they're not relevant to this.

In November, I was approved for a Barclaycard, $1200 limit.  

In March, I got the letter I'd been waiting for - preapproval for a Chase Freedom, which I took, $1500 limit.

Today, I get US Bank calling me, saying they want me to come in to upgrade my secured to a real credit card, etc. I checked the prequal online, and it seems legit.  

BUT...will this kill my Barclays?  I know they're touchy, and I have high inqs from being a little fast-and-loose early on, plus some car purchases in between.  Just wondering what my odds of AA/CLD are if I do another HP.  I'd really like to have something better in my wallet than the secured card, but I don't want to lose what I've got, either. 

Any advice you have, I'd appreciate.  Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Another dreaded Barclay's question

I can point you to a thread where out of 40 pages plus of people with Barclay cards only one has had any negative reaction from Barclay.

And in that one case they were carrying a lot of balances on a lot of cards...Can't blame Barclay for that.

IMHO go for it and congrats should you take the unsecured card

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 5
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@idajedd wrote:

So.  I've been rebuilding for the last 2 years or so.  The first card I got was a US Bank Secured, I threw the minimum $300 at it and never thought much about it.  I also got a CreditOne (blech) and Walmart, but they're not relevant to this.

In November, I was approved for a Barclaycard, $1200 limit.  

In March, I got the letter I'd been waiting for - preapproval for a Chase Freedom, which I took, $1500 limit.

Today, I get US Bank calling me, saying they want me to come in to upgrade my secured to a real credit card, etc. I checked the prequal online, and it seems legit.  

BUT...will this kill my Barclays?  I know they're touchy, and I have high inqs from being a little fast-and-loose early on, plus some car purchases in between.  Just wondering what my odds of AA/CLD are if I do another HP.  I'd really like to have something better in my wallet than the secured card, but I don't want to lose what I've got, either. 

Any advice you have, I'd appreciate.  Thanks Smiley Happy

Hey idajedd!  Welcome to the forums!

I don't think you have anything to worry about.  Even if Barclays wants to take AA (highly unlikley) I wouldn't concern myself with it.  There isn't much that could be done about it.  You are well on your way to PrimeVille!  Congrats on your recent success and the US Bank upgrade!  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 3 of 5
eagle2013
Established Contributor

+1 MJ.

I was approved for Sallie Mae with multiple inqs and a one month old Citi tradeline reporting 40% util on TU. I've had 2 other cards (AMEX, Chase) report since then and two more (AMEX, Discover) still to report. The potential AA is concerning given my new accounts, but it isn't anything I'm going to worry about. 

Message 4 of 5
RCFL
Frequent Contributor

I think people are exaggerating on how Barclays closes people's account because of excessive inquiries. I am sure it depends on other factors as well. I got Barclays back in end of January this year. Then toward end of February, I got the Sportsman Guide Visa, J.Crew and Express Credit card via shopping cart trick added to my stack of cards. I called Barclays and requested a credit limit increase on the 3rd of March, been told it was going to be a HP, give it a go and increased my limit by $1700. I applied for QuickSilver on March 2nd but was 'declined' due to 'high util' (which was not, i was at 0% util at the time) then 2 days later, got an email from CapOne that said my new card is on the way. Called their number and found out I was approved for the QuickSilver. So, since my Barclays Reward card to date, I added 4 new inquiries + 2 from previous, total 6 inquiries and 4 new cards. So far, Barclays is okay with it. My util. now is somewhere around 1-9%.  And yes, all those shopping card trick cards ended up being a HP for each.. ouch, if i knew, i wouldn't get the J.Crew and the Express.   

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.