Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another lesson in always asking for reconsideration

tag
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Another lesson in always asking for reconsideration

I wanted to report on a nice recon I got with Discover.

I received an invite in the mail to apply for a Discover. I am an AU on my husband's Discover, but I thought it was a good idea to each have our own. Might lead to nice double-dipping on the extra 5% rewards.

I did the online app and was immediately declined. The reason was "use of too much revolving credit." Well..we owed less than 1% on our credit cards, so I waited until I got my free TU report from the decline, but I figured I knew what happened. The computer picked up our HELOC as revolving. It's a large HELOC and isn't counted in our utilization, but Discover's computer sure counted it as revolving.

I called Discover's regular CS number and they put me through to a CSR who couldn't have been nicer. I told her I thought they picked up our HELOC as revolving, and I asked her to look at how little we owed on credit cards. She asked me a couple of questions about my report, put me on hold, and came back with the news that they approved me with a credit line of $13,140.

I want to thank everyone here in the forums. I followed the advice often given here to always ask for reconsideration if you are declined for a credit card. I was embarrassed at first that I was declined, but I stepped up to the plate and called. I also followed another very important piece of advice I read in these forums from a former CSR. That writer advised to be NICE, NICE, NICE...and I was. It was a good call, and I still haven't quit teasing my husband that my credit limit is larger than his.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
moonman
Frequent Contributor

Re: Another lesson in always asking for reconsideration

congratulations on the successful recon and approvalSmiley Happy       I applied for a Discover earlier this year but was declined for too many inq(3) and short credit history(4) and to close unused accounts.(i laughed at that one).
Message Edited by moonman on 11-06-2009 08:29 PM
Message 2 of 7
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Nice approval! Congrats.

Thanks for emphasizing what I have always said: All declined credit app's must be recon'ed!

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

but what If they say you have limited credit history but you've had credit maybe 7-8 months?
Message 4 of 7
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
but what If they say you have limited credit history but you've had credit maybe 7-8 months?

What would you have to lose if you recon'ed this denial? Yes, it is better to have a clearly rebuttable reason for the denial, but why waste an INQ? It's better to go down swinging, isn't it? At least then you will have a clear idea of what will be required next time if not approved on recon.
Message 5 of 7
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

Nice approval! Congrats.

Thanks for emphasizing what I have always said: All declined credit app's must be recon'ed!

Your words gave me the courage to call and ask...

Welcome home...or are you online on the ship?

Message 6 of 7
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@LynetteM wrote:

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

Nice approval! Congrats.

Your words gave me the courage to call and ask...

Welcome home...or are you online on the ship?

Thanks for your kind comment!

I returned yesterday morning and the cruise was great! At $0.55/min the cost is a little too steep for forum posting, so the cruise was a 5-day internet holiday for me. I always travel with a computer, but this time is was DVD's and music only.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.