Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another 'no score' card !

tag
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

Another 'no score' card !

I've been helping my stepdaughter with getting her credit established. She is 20 and has no FICO scores yet. I know since I paid for three reports less than a month ago and found out there was nothing there!! Six months of history needed.

This is what this site has helped me to help her with.

She app'ed for the BoA Plat VISA and got denied , offered the 99/500 and activated it in May.

NFCU just gave her an unsecured nRewards for $1000 a month ago after I called to find out what her chances were with no history but a job.

Yesterday we sat down and app'ed for a Juniper I-tunes Visa and were denied online. Wrote up a fax letter explaining that she wanted to be 'in' with a bank like Juniper (keep your comments to a minimum, she is just starting out). That she PIF's her other two accounts all the time, and wants to establish a third trade line that's unsecured with a bank and not a CU.

We faxed it in and within a half hour got an e-mail approving her for a $500 CL.

She's on her way, she's got one more app out with CITI right now and then she's done.

We'll see how that goes.

Jax
App free for 17 days since 3rd NASA denial.
Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Candice
Contributor

Re: Another 'no score' card !

Congrats Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

That's a great start, jax, and as I know you know, a great place for her to stop for now. Smiley Wink

I found that with my kids, once they had clean credit going for 6 months, their scores were 680 - 690, or at least if they grasped the low util part. After a year, it was around 720. FICO smiles on those brand-new to credit, if they keep their noses clean.

BTW, I've read in the past about people who tried to order FICO scores, and it turned out that they had no scorable history. Their charges stayed in "pending" status, and once there were no reports, the charges were canceled.

Did your card actually get charged? If so, you might want to call CS and see what they show on their end.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 6
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

Thanks, I'll check on that charge, maybe it never went through.

And you're right, she's done with getting anymore CC's. She does PIF and is being very responsible with them , BUT, she is a young adult who still will face many decisions in life and I hope she stays with her plan.

One of the reasons I helped is because I really didn't want her to go First Premier, Continental, Orchard, etc. if she could avoid it. I went that route, like many others here, and with the info passed here we know there are other options for a beginner if you have some knowledge instead of blindly applying.

The rule was if I help her get started she must come to me if she can't make at least the minimum. I'll do it for her or PIF for her until her situation is better.

She'll probably have better scores than her mother and I within a year - go figure !!

Thanks again.

Jax
App free for 18 days since 3rd NASA denial.
Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great work. I'm especially impressed with your fax letter success.  It's really great that you are helping her understand credit and show her the effort that goes into establishing positive tradelines. It's likely that she'll be more careful about how she treats her credit with the knowledge you have given her. If she doesn't appreciate you now, she definitely will later. Great job!
Message 5 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I know that this is stuff that was NEVER talked about when I was graduated from high school, ever so long ago (1972.) My parents were Depression-era, and they would never have done anything wild with credit, so the question never arose.

I didn't do anything wild either, I was just sloppy. Smiley Sad

I started all three of mine with USAA, and after that, they've been on their own. Other than that the National Bank of Mom is there if things ever get really tough, but they won't like the terms and penalties! Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.