Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another one of my chase card numbers was stolen again

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Another one of my chase card numbers was stolen again

About two months ago someone in California tried to use my hyatt chase card number (it was only two months old) and it got picked up by the fraud department and I had to call in and get a replacement card. Now tonight someone in Brazil attempted to use my  chase sapphire credit card number on a frauidulent credit card and again i had to call in and get the card cancelled and will now have to wait for a replacement to be shipped. Neither of these cards see much use if any at all. I do not have an issue with any other lenders and my account numbers being stolen. Only with Chase so far. Given the hassle of having to replace cards like this multiple times should I ask for some sort of compensation from Chase? I'm not trying to be unreasonable, but it is a real hassle to call in and have to wait on hold and then have to wait for the new card to arrive and in some cases change over auto-billing accounts. Once I can tolerate but now it has been twice within a 2-3 month period. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Another one of my chase card numbers was stolen again

I'm not sure what kind of compensation they could or would offer. You could always ask for overnight delivery of your card if waiting is an issue. However with technology nowadays any lender is at risk which is why we have $0 fraud liability. I guess IMO that would be the compensation is not being liable.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

would 60,000 UR's work? All you have to do is ask.

Message 3 of 25
rlx01
Established Contributor

This happens millions of times a day. Cost of fraud < cost of implementing systems to fix it, so banks don't care.

Not sure what compensation you feel entitled to... What did Chase do exactly?
Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting coincidence, DW got a fraud alert on her CSP card yesterday as well.  Someone tried to charge $81.29 at puma.com.

But, sorry, dude, I think you're making a lot out of nothing here.  And this isn't Chase's fault in particular.  The entire U.S. card-processing industry is very insecure.  Things should get better when chip technology takes over.  But in the meantime, cards from all issuers are vulnerable, not just Chase.

And really, how big of a hassle is it really?  Chase sent me an email that asked me if I recognized the transaction and I had to press a big Yes or No button.  That was it.  Even if you didn't have that option, if the time on hold was too onerous, you could have just logged on and sent a secure message to Chase to say that the transaction was fraudulent.  That would have taken, what, 30 seconds?  And then in a week or so you get new cards and another 15 seconds to activate them.

You yourself said these cards didn't get much use.  If so, then what's the big deal?

Chris.

Message 5 of 25
red259
Super Contributor

@rlx01 wrote:
This happens millions of times a day. Cost of fraud < cost of implementing systems to fix it, so banks don't care.

Not sure what compensation you feel entitled to... What did Chase do exactly?

Who said I feel entitled? 

;
Message 6 of 25
someone379
Regular Contributor

I don't think your going to get anything, and honestly I would just be thrilled that they are handling it and getting you a new card.  This is one reason I have multiple cards, if one of them is out of commission for a period of time no big deal.    I love the security provided by the fact that I'm not responsible for fraud and don't think I would dream of asking for compensation over something like this... But that's just my opinion. 

Starting Score: EQ 503 TU 478" "Current Scores: EQ >750 TU >750 EX >750
IHG (19k) | Discover IT (18k) | BCE (14.5k) | SPG (14k) | CashForward (7.5) | Citi DC (6k) | TE (5.5k) | Marriott (5k) | Citi Best Buy (5k) | Amz VISA (3k) | BofA Cash Rewards (4.5k) | FNBO 6.25% AMEX (2.3k) | Amz Store (CLOSED) | QS1 ($1.6k)
Message 7 of 25
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting coincidence, DW got a fraud alert on her CSP card yesterday as well.  Someone tried to charge $81.29 at puma.com.

But, sorry, dude, I think you're making a lot out of nothing here.  And this isn't Chase's fault in particular.  The entire U.S. card-processing industry is very insecure.  Things should get better when chip technology takes over.  But in the meantime, cards from all issuers are vulnerable, not just Chase.

And really, how big of a hassle is it really?  Chase sent me an email that asked me if I recognized the transaction and I had to press a big Yes or No button.  That was it.  Even if you didn't have that option, if the time on hold was too onerous, you could have just logged on and sent a secure message to Chase to say that the transaction was fraudulent.  That would have taken, what, 30 seconds?  And then in a week or so you get new cards and another 15 seconds to activate them.

You yourself said these cards didn't get much use.  If so, then what's the big deal?

Chris.

30 seconds? It took me half a hour of a sat night to deal with. I sent the text back and was told via text I had to call in. Then I was put on hold and then transferred around and I can't use the card until the replacement arrives. When it happened once I was like no problem. Now it has happened a second time within a short period of time I am a bit more put out about the whole thing.  

;
Message 8 of 25
TruBlu
Contributor

Idk. I'd personally be happy I don't have to pay a dime. Sure it's a hassle (I've had to do it) but CCC nowadays are really looking out for fraud and have streamlined their processes - thanks to the negative PR endured by a big red retailer. It's like they had a target on their back Smiley Happy
Guess nothing wrong in asking for compensation, if you think you deserve it..
Message 9 of 25
rlx01
Established Contributor

Since you're being told where these transactions are happening, I presume these are all card present fraud instances.

If the U.S. banking industry moved to chip and PIN instead of the pointless chip and signature, this stuff would disappear overnight.
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.