Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anticipated yearly bonus - reported income

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Anticipated yearly bonus - reported income

I've never included my annual bonus in reported salary for credit cards or other applications as its not always an guaranteed amount. I'm curious how others handle this.

Thoughts

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Anticipated yearly bonus - reported income

@Duncanrr wrote:
I've never included my annual bonus in reported salary for credit cards or other applications as its not always an guaranteed amount. I'm curious how others handle this.

Thoughts

Well in cases like this, it's best to just write whatever income you earned last year. That way, you have all the necessary documents to back it up, if they ask for it.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 16
red259
Super Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@Duncanrr wrote:

Thoughts

Well in cases like this, it's best to just write whatever income you earned last year. That way, you have all the necessary documents to back it up, if they ask for it.

+1 Some people have really small salaries, but at the end of the year get a huge bonus. Its unfair to get credit limits set based on a small salary, which is a fraction of what you will be earning by the end of the year. That being said bonuses are not guaranteed, so I think Enharu's advice is the best compromise. You don't want to be in a situation where you give them a number and then you don't get the bonus and then there is a FR later on and you can't back up what you told them. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:

@Duncanrr wrote:

Thoughts

+1.

That said I'm not certain that I can claim my bonus as income when it comes to my theoretical mortgage I'm going to try to get underwritten next year.

        
Message 4 of 16
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I've received the same amount of bonus every year.. So I include it.
I've had the same position for about three years, so I feel my proclamation is warranted in that regard.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 5 of 16
BMW_M-Series
New Contributor

I always put my previous year tax returns as my income stated on an application. It is just easy to verify if I ever had to. Although I see nothing wrong with including bonus' from the current year just always be prepared to have it documented just incase you need to show it to a company if asked.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - American Express Platinum - American Express PRG -American Express SPG -American Express BCP - BofA Cash Rewards Visa Siggy - Citi TYP - Discover IT - PenFed Gold

In Garden
Message 6 of 16
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

Personally, I include bonuses now when I apply for credit cards but it's not like they make a huge difference in my salary (Got about 5k this year) either so I don't feel bad about it.

Message 7 of 16
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

My bonus at last job varied greatly. Im not sure how new job will be with them other than i know i will get an incentive based one. Typically, my bonus ranged from 5% - 15% of my base salary.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 16
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yeah, the bonus always gets reported and taxed heh -.- lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 16
red259
Super Contributor

@Pat94108 wrote:

Personally, I include bonuses now when I apply for credit cards but it's not like they make a huge difference in my salary (Got about 5k this year) either so I don't feel bad about it.

Yea 5k isn't a huge difference. When I first read the question I was thinking of the traders on wall street where they get paid a small salary and get these massive bonuses at the end of the year. In that situation it can be drastically different. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.