cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any 19 year olds on here that have prime cards?

tag
MazdaSpeed
Contributor

Re: Any 19 year olds on here that have prime cards?

@lambo I agree, it does feel good to have those banks, I turn 21 in 2 months
fico 747
Message 31 of 48
Lambo23
Frequent Contributor

I just feel like I have somewhat of a head start. I cringe when I over hear people talk about credit and credit cards because it seems to be negative every time! If only they knew!
Message 32 of 48
TJDgator

I am 19 and I have the following:

BCE ($5600) opened 12/12

Amex Delta ($5000) opened 3/13

Discover IT ($2100) opened 8/12

Chase Freedom ($2000) opened 9/12

Wells Fargo College Cash Back ($1000) opened 1/12

My Ex fico is 743 and my income is $20,000.

I work part time and a Full-time student

Message 33 of 48
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

19: mom co signed bb card. (as in joint account) 

19 got my own macys card 

20 kohls card 

21.. 3 citizens card, amex zync, chase freedom, walmart, ae. 

scores are around 690's-700's with alot of inquiries under a year 

aaoa is about a year now. 

@op. According too chase they do not count store cards in their decision 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 34 of 48
Yj002
Established Member

Capital One is pretty easy to get for a first time or no credit individual. Also look for the student/no credit credit credit card by Citibank. Hope that helps

Message 35 of 48
Radek7752
Contributor

18-19: CU Visa, JCP, Capital One (~725 Score)

20: Amex Zync (~670 score dropped because my AU history on one of my mom's cards was wiped from my reports)

21: Chase Freedom, Citi Simplicity, Discover More (~700)

22 (Current age): BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Walmart Discover, Citi ThankYou Preferred (~701-733)

There has also been some random mistakes in those years too such as Target, Bank of America Cash Rewards, and a few others that have since been canceled. A lot of people don't have great things to say about Capital One, but I think they are great to begin with and down the road you can PC to their better products via unconventional means, although I just called the regular number and had it done to maintain my history with them.

BoA: Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard
Chase: Sapphire Preferred (WMC)/Freedom/Amazon/Auto Loan (41k)
Citi: Thank You Preferred/Forward/Simplicity
AmEx: Zync/Blue Cash/Starwood Preferred
Discover: IT
GE: JCP/Walmart Discover
Message 36 of 48

Does Discover IT count as "prime?" If so, I've got the student variant. To all intents and purposes, it's identical to the "big boy" IT (functionally; rates and limits may vary). If you're a student, it's probably your best option. Recently, the 5% cashback bonus was for restaurants. Most of my expenses during that period were dining, so suffice it to say that I was quite happy. 

Haven't been a member that long, but the customer service is par excellence. My first "real" credit card, so at least it's a way to get my foot in the door and establish good credit for the day I enter the workforce. Definitely go for it--as a fellow 19 year old, you're hard pressed to find a better card for the time being. 

My Wallet:
Discover IT Student/1000 CL
Bank of America Travel Rewards for Students/1000 CL
PayPal Credit/1000 CL
Chase Freedom/1900 CL
AmEx Blue Cash/2000 CL
I'm a credit amateur, and frankly I have zero need for credit. I'm just preparing for the day where I will need credit.
700+ all bureaus

Message 37 of 48
CollegeStudent530
Regular Contributor

I would consider Discover a prime card. Although some places do not accept it, their reward program and benefits are amazing =)

Welcome to the Discover family! 

Message 38 of 48
m5ind
Established Member

I started building credit when I was 19 with a cap 1 journey card ($500) and a 5/3 bank platinum mastercard ($300.) After about ten months passed, I got the itch to see if any prime lenders would accept me, pulled the trigger on amex gold and clear and the discover it. Got those three cards about a month ago, and my age now is 20, so not too far off. I was surprised that amex approved me with lerss than a year of history, but i think they like those that are building credit that have a short but spotless history.

Message 39 of 48
way2evil
New Contributor

Yes, I am 21 and I have a whole bunch. JP Morgan Select, Amex BCE, Chase Freedom, Discover, and Penfed (just got). Over 50k in credit lines.

Message 40 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.