cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any 3% CB Travel Credit Cards with no AF?

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Any 3% CB Travel Credit Cards with no AF?

@UncleB wrote:

I'll add that when you app for the AAA Visa Signature, you have to populate your AAA member number (or at least I did) so you have to have AAA at least to apply for the card; no information on if a continued membership is required (or if it's enforced).

Also possibly notable, the AAA Visa does not give 3% back for rail travel... so if you're a train person this is not the card for you.  This restriction does not apply to the Sam's Club MasterCard.

Some people think of the Sam's Club membership as an annual fee, but I do not.  I only make minimal purchases there, but when I do the math I save enough even on those few purchases to justify the membership fee (and then some).  I think of it as 'breaking even' with my purchases (compared to making the same purchases elsewhere) with all rewards earned with their credit card being 'profit', so to speak. 

If I didn't shop there I would deduct the membership fee from my rewards (I keep my cash rewards in a separate account) but the way it works out now I don't need to.  Smiley Wink

Just FYI -  the AAA membership number does not need to be input on the application - not a requirement.  This is only an option, plus there is usually a checkbox to indicate whether you want the AAA dues to be charged onto the AAA CC.  I have the AAA AmEx (previously issued under FIA) and I did not input my AAA member on the application.  It was not a stipulation for approval. 

Given the earnings rate for travel (I do not use rail), it's really *meh* when compared to other travel cards.  Since the AAA AmEx under FIA is under the WorldPoints structure, I simply pool all the WorldPoints from that, the Accelerated AmEx (old BOA card no longer available) and combine with those with Fidelity Private Client AmEx for a higher yield.  Unfortunately, since all Fidelity CCs are going to be soon part of Elan, I have to get creative with the WorldPoints yields.

For Sam's Club, it really depends whether you come out ahead and which membership fee structure you have.

Message 11 of 58
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@FinStar wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

I'll add that when you app for the AAA Visa Signature, you have to populate your AAA member number (or at least I did) so you have to have AAA at least to apply for the card; no information on if a continued membership is required (or if it's enforced).

Also possibly notable, the AAA Visa does not give 3% back for rail travel... so if you're a train person this is not the card for you.  This restriction does not apply to the Sam's Club MasterCard.

Some people think of the Sam's Club membership as an annual fee, but I do not.  I only make minimal purchases there, but when I do the math I save enough even on those few purchases to justify the membership fee (and then some).  I think of it as 'breaking even' with my purchases (compared to making the same purchases elsewhere) with all rewards earned with their credit card being 'profit', so to speak. 

If I didn't shop there I would deduct the membership fee from my rewards (I keep my cash rewards in a separate account) but the way it works out now I don't need to.  Smiley Wink

Just FYI -  the AAA membership number does not need to be input on the application - not a requirement.  This is only an option, plus there is usually a checkbox to indicate whether you want the AAA dues to be charged onto the AAA CC.  I have the AAA AmEx (previously issued under FIA) and I did not input my AAA member on the application.  It was not a stipulation for approval. 

Given the earnings rate for travel (I do not use rail), it's really *meh* when compared to other travel cards.  Since the AAA AmEx under FIA is under the WorldPoints structure, I simply pool all the WorldPoints from that, the Accelerated AmEx (old BOA card no longer available) and combine with those with Fidelity Private Client AmEx for a higher yield.  Unfortunately, since all Fidelity CCs are going to be soon part of Elan, I have to get creative with the WorldPoints yields.

For Sam's Club, it really depends whether you come out ahead and which membership fee structure you have.

That's good to know it's not always required.

When I applied (again, last summer) I started from my state's AAA page, and I couldn't proceed without entering my member number (I recall begin annoyed that I had to get the card from my wallet, even though I was logged into their site).  I've also noticed the application looks altogether different if you start from the BoA site rather than an AAA portal (again, at least now compared to last July).  It looks much more updated than it did then.

I was actually quite disappointed not to be approved... now I realize it all turned out quite OK.  Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 58
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@UncleB wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

That's good to know it's not always required.

When I applied (again, last summer) I started from my state's AAA page, and I couldn't proceed without entering my member number (I recall begin annoyed that I had to get the card from my wallet, even though I was logged into their site).  I've also noticed the application looks altogether different if you start from the BoA site rather than an AAA portal (again, at least now compared to last July).  It looks much more updated than it did then.

I was actually quite disappointed not to be approved... now I realize it all turned out quite OK.  Smiley Wink

It depends on the AAA Club or where you submit the application.  Through the BOA site, the AAA membership # is not required.  IME, through the AAA Club I applied, it didn't require it either.  I recall reading at one point in a few blogs that apps through some AAA portals had technical glitches and some folks were referred to the BOA site to apply.  I would submit it though the BOA site if you don't want the AAA # tied to the CC, otherwise proceed which whatever works!  Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 58
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Ah ok, so the AAA technically has no fee then, since you don't HAVE to have a membership.

That said, your review of it is less than glowing, so I'd hesitate to recommend it to OP, lol. Strange about train purchases being excluded. I can only guess that they only want people using it for "travel" and not if they just ride a train to work everyday?

Message 14 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditfan wrote:

Security Service Power Travel Rewards

https://www.ssfcu.org/en-us/loans-credit/credit-cards/Pages/travel-rewards.aspx

I was really trying out to find a way to get this card, but what kills it is the need to open a savings account and maintain a $100 balance (which is fine if you utilize their bank account services) but if you're outside their footprint it will make it hard to use their checking/savings. Otherwise it seems like an ideal card.

Message 15 of 58
happypill
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditfan wrote:

I was really trying out to find a way to get this card, but what kills it is the need to open a savings account and maintain a $100 balance (which is fine if you utilize their bank account services) but if you're outside their footprint it will make it hard to use their checking/savings. Otherwise it seems like an ideal card.

The SSFCU Power Travel Rewards WMC is my absolute favorite because it gives 3.3% (you get a 10% bonus at the end of the year for all rewards) on the categories where my spend is highest.  In addition to travel, it's also 3.3% on dining and gas (I use Sallie Mae for gas so that's a backup).  One caveat is that you redeem for gift cards at full rate, but I wouldn't imagine anyone would have any trouble because they include most of the biggest retailers & restaurant chains (including Amazon).

I can tell you that I do not actually keep $100 in my savings account...didn't know that was a requirement but they haven't said anything.  I think my checking & savings both have about $.01 in them.  I live in California but was able to set up an account because I travel frequently to my company's HQ in Denver, which is part of their service area.

In addition to the rewards, the benefits of the card are exemplary.  The interest range is 10-11%, so in addition to being one of the best rewards cards, it also serves as my backup low-interest rate card.  SSFCU does also offer a no-rewards low interest rate card at around 6.5%.  The Power Travle Rewards has no fees of any kind, including no AF, no FTF, no BT and even no cash advance fee.

Really great card for people who like straight forward rewards instead of points programs, and who travel & dine a lot.

Message 16 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@happypill wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditfan wrote:

The SSFCU Power Travel Rewards WMC is my absolute favorite because it gives 3.3% (you get a 10% bonus at the end of the year for all rewards) on the categories where my spend is highest.  In addition to travel, it's also 3.3% on dining and gas (I use Sallie Mae for gas so that's a backup).  One caveat is that you redeem for gift cards at full rate, but I wouldn't imagine anyone would have any trouble because they include most of the biggest retailers & restaurant chains (including Amazon).

I can tell you that I do not actually keep $100 in my savings account...didn't know that was a requirement but they haven't said anything.  I think my checking & savings both have about $.01 in them.  I live in California but was able to set up an account because I travel frequently to my company's HQ in Denver, which is part of their service area.

In addition to the rewards, the benefits of the card are exemplary.  The interest range is 10-11%, so in addition to being one of the best rewards cards, it also serves as my backup low-interest rate card.  SSFCU does also offer a no-rewards low interest rate card at around 6.5%.  The Power Travle Rewards has no fees of any kind, including no AF, no FTF, no BT and even no cash advance fee.

Really great card for people who like straight forward rewards instead of points programs, and who travel & dine a lot.

Thanks for the info! So to get the full value of the points, they would need to be redeemed for Gift Cards? or Can you get the full value statement credit / check ? 

Message 17 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@happypill wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditfan wrote:

Do you have one of these accounts? 

Must meet membership requirements and must open and maintain a Security Service Savings account (either aSecurity Service Basic Savings Account or a Youth Savings Account) with a $5 balance.

This is the basic account terms:

• One of the savings accounts required for membership with Security Service Federal Credit Union2
  • $5 deposit required to open account
  • $100 minimum balance across all accounts is required to avoid a minimum balance fee
  • Earn interest1 while building up savings
  • Balance in savings account can be used as overdraft protection for a checking account
  • Additional transaction fees may apply
Message 18 of 58
creditfan
Established Contributor

info account fees

https://www.ssfcu.org/SiteCollectionDocuments/application-disclosures/consumer-fee-schedule.pdf

no fee if you meet one of the following criteria:

one of those is Credit card

Message 19 of 58
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

If you use orbitz, Orbitz rewards credit card would be the best bet!

Message 20 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.