cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any 3% CB Travel Credit Cards with no AF?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any 3% CB Travel Credit Cards with no AF?

@FinStar wrote:

@creditfan wrote:

Security Service Power Travel Rewards

https://www.ssfcu.org/en-us/loans-credit/credit-cards/Pages/travel-rewards.aspx

Provided the OP meets their eligibility criteria:

It's Easy to Join Security Service Ways to Join

Joining Security Service is quick and easy! You may qualify for membership if:

• You live, work, worship, attend school, or your business is located in select areas of Texas (San Antonio, Austin, El Paso, Rio Grande Valley, Corpus Christi), Colorado (Denver, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Fort Collins, Loveland, Boulder, Broomfield), or Utah (Salt Lake and Utah counties).
  • You’re a member of select military branches/units or a Department of Defense employee at specific military bases within our service areas.
  • You're a family or household member1 of an existing member.
  • You're a volunteer in select areas of Texas (San Antonio, Austin, El Paso, Rio Grande Valley, Corpus Christi), Colorado (Denver, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Fort Collins, Loveland, Boulder, Broomfield), or Utah (Salt Lake and Utah counties).

Is there any way to volunteer or make a donation outside of the listed areas?

Message 21 of 58
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I'm pretty sure Security Service is pretty tightly guarded, i.e. you have to actually live/work/worship in the listed areas. I don't think there's a workaround with them. If there were, I think we'd see a lot more people having the card.

Message 22 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

keep in mind MOST small CUs like that are strict on you at least residing in texas or having family or something like that. it isn't like penfed where you just pay your little fee and go. CUs pay less in fees to the government as long as they are "selective"
Message 23 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think the card is really worth it though because of the reward redemption restrictions. If it allowed flexible redemption and full value then it would be a card I'd want to get.

Message 24 of 58
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think the card is really worth it though because of the reward redemption restrictions. If it allowed flexible redemption and full value then it would be a card I'd want to get.

To be honest, I think with your criteria, 3% cash back on travel, there really aren't any amazing options out there at the moment. My recommendation is to just stick to using Double Cash or whatever for travel expenses. Most of the more than 2% CB travel options have restrictions/hoops/asset requirements/etc.

Message 25 of 58
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
keep in mind MOST small CUs like that are strict on you at least residing in texas or having family or something like that. it isn't like penfed where you just pay your little fee and go. CUs pay less in fees to the government as long as they are "selective"

ummm you consider them "small" Smiley Very Happy

No backdoor way in SSFCU. You must live,work or worship in one of the listed areas.

Message 26 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

To be honest, I think with your criteria, 3% cash back on travel, there really aren't any amazing options out there at the moment. My recommendation is to just stick to using Double Cash or whatever for travel expenses. Most of the more than 2% CB travel options have restrictions/hoops/asset requirements/etc.

Yes i agree! If there's nothing out there, then I shouldn't really grasp for straws. I will wait and hopefully this thread can be updated when a new card or existing card with 3% travel rewards arises.

Message 27 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

SSFCU is technically small. by small i mean they aren't on a global level like NFCU or national like penfed. you know i work for RBFCU so you know i deal with SSFCU on a regular basis lol. RBFCU is relatively the same size as SSFCU but we are only $6 billion in loans as of this year and projected to meet $10 billion in about 4-6 years.

Message 28 of 58
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
SSFCU is technically small. by small i mean they aren't on a global level like NFCU or national like penfed. you know i work for RBFCU so you know i deal with SSFCU on a regular basis lol. RBFCU is technically bigger than SSFCU but we are only $6 billion in loans as of this year and projected to meet $10 billion in about 4-6 years.

Dream on sucka! Lmao. SSFCU has 8 billion in assets and 970k members. RBFCU has 5.9 billion in assets and 470k members. Smiley Very Happy

*based on March 2014 data www.creditunionaccess.com/top50creditunions.htm

Message 29 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

i edited my post ^^^
Message 30 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.