Re: Any Alternative to Target Card?

They sell them at my Target in IL.
Message 11 of 49
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anomalous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

And for those that can get the Redbird (still only in some states) this is a great card for those that go to target anyway.

Redbird is currently only available in the following states:

Alabama

Arizona
California (YMMV)
Colorado
Indiana
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Mississippi
New Mexico
North Carolina
Ohio (Cleveland area only)
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania (note for fellow Pennsylvanians: west PA only)
South Carolina
Tennessee
Virginia
Wisconsin

If you have a Bluebird or Serve account, you'll have to close them before you can use the Redbird Smiley Indifferent

Note this is the official list of where you can BUY them.   They can be used at any Target US store.   A lot of people are buying on ebay without issue, YMMV.

Message 12 of 49
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@VirtualCuriosity wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I know Target card get 5point per dollar at Target
but I don't want to open a Target card is there any card out there earns 3 points at target?
Currently my best card at Target is BoA Travel rewards 1.5 points per dollar

Redbird (Target Prepaid) earns 5% off, without any impact to your credit record.   This can be loaded with a credit card at Target, earning bonus rewards if you have a (non-Amex) card that gives supermarket bonuses.   And for a plain 5%, I believe Target debit card also gives that.

Huh, interesting.  So, I could load it with a non Amex for the rewards, then get another 5% when using it?  I shall start keeping an eye on your posts for more insight lol.

Every one of my posts is filled with invaluable insight, just a gift!  Well, except those that aren't.

But yes, you can load Redbird with a credit card up to $2,500 a day, $5000 per month.   And use if for bill pay like Bluebird or serve, and, unlike them, can use at Target for 5% off.

So for Target users, this allows you to "add" the points you get with cc to the 5% you could get anyway with some other version of the Target card.

Just be aware all the different versions of Target cards.  The one discussed here has Prepaid on it, see https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard/

(and note the URL is Amex!)

Message 13 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just picked up a target prepaid card up last night at my local target. I have a target store 1 minute down the street from me and we always shop there. My reports are frozen right now and I really wanted the 5% off so I got the prepaid card instead of applying for the actual credit card. I get all the benefits the store credit card offers. 5% off, free shipping online and I think even the extra 30 day return period. Like others mentioned you can also load that card at any target with a credit card and it shows as a purchase, so say you have a credit card that gives 1.5% off you can load your target prepaid card with that credit card and get the 1.5% plus get the 5% off when using the target prepaid that you just loaded at target!! I will probably apply for the store card in the future but right now I don't feel like unfreezing my reports plus I have a lot of inquiries already. So I'm using the prepaid card until then and don't have to worry about a HP!
Message 14 of 49
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anomalous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

And for those that can get the Redbird (still only in some states) this is a great card for those that go to target anyway.

Redbird is currently only available in the following states:

Alabama

Arizona
California (YMMV)
Colorado
Indiana
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Mississippi
New Mexico
North Carolina
Ohio (Cleveland area only)
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania (note for fellow Pennsylvanians: west PA only)
South Carolina
Tennessee
Virginia
Wisconsin

If you have a Bluebird or Serve account, you'll have to close them before you can use the Redbird Smiley Indifferent

Note this is the official list of where you can BUY them.   They can be used at any Target US store.   A lot of people are buying on ebay without issue, YMMV.

Ha! You're right! I do live in a state that offers them, though.

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 15 of 49
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I just picked up a target prepaid card up last night at my local target. I have a target store 1 minute down the street from me and we always shop there. My reports are frozen right now and I really wanted the 5% off so I got the prepaid card instead of applying for the actual credit card. I get all the benefits the store credit card offers. 5% off, free shipping online and I think even the extra 30 day return period. Like others mentioned you can also load that card at any target with a credit card and it shows as a purchase, so say you have a credit card that gives 1.5% off you can load your target prepaid card with that credit card and get the 1.5% plus get the 5% off when using the target prepaid that you just loaded at target!! I will probably apply for the store card in the future but right now I don't feel like unfreezing my reports plus I have a lot of inquiries already. So I'm using the prepaid card until then and don't have to worry about a HP!

Why would you want the store card?   Additional likely CL doesn't seem enough for the HP or AAoA hit.

Message 16 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea your right. That's one of the reasons I think I haven't applied yet I have been thinking about it maybe 1-2 years down the road but honestly as long as the prepaid gives me everything the Store CC gives me then why take the hit for pretty much close to nothing.
Message 17 of 49
chwebb1
Established Contributor

You can also use the Sallie Mae Mastercard to get 5 points per dollar back at most Targets. I use that card and I get 5% back at Target. The only downside is that you are limited to $250 per month in "Grocery" (which is what most Targets are coded as).

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 18 of 49
kdm31091
Super Contributor

But why not just use the Target debit version and get the 5% all the time with no caps, and no HP? Rather than the Sallie Mae. Unless you already have it, but even then the Target debit has no downside and no caps, without worrying about it coding as grocery or not. I just don't know why you'd want to make it more of a hassle for yourself. Plus the Target debit 5% comes of instantly at the register.

Message 19 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chwebb1 wrote:

You can also use the Sallie Mae Mastercard to get 5 points per dollar back at most Targets. I use that card and I get 5% back at Target. The only downside is that you are limited to $250 per month in "Grocery" (which is what most Targets are coded as).

Target coded as Grocery? WOW!

Message 20 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.