cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any CC lenders that you would never do biz with?

tag
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Any CC lenders that you would never do biz with?

Just curious. And no, I'm not talking about First Premier or Credit One, etc.  I noticeably see many members do not like Cap1, or Barclays from different threads.  For me Cap1 has been very generous, their EO has stepped up a notch. On the other hand, Barclays has been pretty demeaning when I've called for recon several months ago.  I'm interested what others would say.

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 1 of 83
82 REPLIES 82
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Any CC lenders that you would never do biz with?

@yudeology101 wrote:

Just curious. And no, I'm not talking about First Premier or Credit One, etc.  I noticeably see many members do not like Cap1, or Barclays from different threads.  For me Cap1 has been very generous, their EO has stepped up a notch. On the other hand, Barclays has been pretty demeaning when I've called for recon several months ago.  I'm interested what others would say.

Basically, people like lenders that have been good (in some way) to them, and detest those that have treated them badly, whether real or imagined.  Basically every lender has people from both groups represented here.   Looking at bigger samples, such as http://www.jdpower.com/consumer-ratings/finance/ratings/909201641/2013-U.S.%20Credit%20Card%20Satisf... you can see that generally Amex and Discover do best, with Citi and GE doing worse.  Both Barclays and Cap One are in the middle.

(GE gets a lot of love here for its CLIs, obviously not shared by the larger population!)    This is statistical, so telling you what you are more likely to experience, but this is totally overridden by personal experience, that nasty bank who wouldn't give you the CLI you so deserved, or the one that was totally unhelpful when you had that fraudulent charge.

But if you trust surveys, go with Discover and Amex, rather than Citi and GE....

Message 2 of 83
enharu
Super Contributor

Like longtimelurker said, everyone's experience with each bank will vary.

Each bank has different products that may be more suitable to certain individuals over others, hence some people may prefer certain banks over others.

Other than that, individuals who had adverse action taken against them by certain bank(s) often would be pretty bitter and pissed towards towards those bank(s) as well.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 83
MACFRME
Frequent Contributor

I will never do business with Barclays. I had an iTunes Visa with them several years ago, and they closed a card I had for nearly three years (with a perfect payment history) because I opened three new accounts in one year. Soirry Barclays, but credit building doesn't always move at a glacial pace. Even before they closed it, I went three years without a CLI and was stuck at $250.

I can honestly say that no other banks have ever treated me like that. I would understand if it had been 10+ new accounts, but 3? Really? I could even see another conservative lender (perhaps AmEx) chopping a CL over an excessive number of new accounts, but not completely closing it out.

Cards I Carry
$7.5K $23K $5k $300(SEC) $500 $300 $1,500 $800 $800
Total Available Credit: $39.7k | FICOS: EX 659 | EQ 661 | TU 673
Message 4 of 83
JasonKR
Regular Contributor

lenders that does not take financial aid as income!

BoA Better Balance Reward - $1.5k (01/13) | Discover It for Student - $1.7k (04/13) | Capital One QuickSilver - $2k (05/13) | Amazon Rewards Visa Card - $700 (10/13) | Citi Forward for Student - $2.4k (10/13) | Amex BCE - $6k (10/13) | Chase Freedom - $1.5k (11/13) | Chase Sapphire Preferred - $6.5k (12/13) | Amex Delta Gold - $8.7k(12/13) | Chase IHG - $4k (2/14) | Chase Hyatt - $5k (2/14) | Amex Platinum (2/14) | Citi ThankYou Preferred - $3.5k (4/14) | Chase United Explorer - $5k (9/14) | Amex Delta Gold business - $3k (9/14) | I ALWAYS pay in full
(Future card: Barclaycard Arrival+, Amex SPG+Everyday, Chase Ink+Marriott, Citi Hilton Reserve+HHonors)
Message 5 of 83
enharu
Super Contributor

@JasonKR wrote:

lenders that does not take financial aid as income!

Financial aid is not earned income, with federal work-study programs being the exception. Only in that scenario they are considered as earned income, which makes them subject to taxation.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 83
TrishN
Established Contributor

i waitting for barclay close my account with them, i opened 23 Account in this year with 2x inquiries on TU in 1 year but barclay still approved my credit application.They may changed you never know Smiley Very Happy

10/2012 Started with 588 EQ Fico score and 20+ CA and CO
1750$ total CL
10/2013 in 700 Club
Personal :Total CL 196K
Business : Total CL 200K
Business LOC : 1M
Garden From 10/13/2013
Message 7 of 83
too-much-time
Frequent Contributor

Today's mail delivery brought me a letter from Capital One. Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back with Quicksilver. Given that I have long ago opted out of credit card offers and have never done any business with this company, the solicitation does little to build trust. Can't complain though, I have yet to feel angry enough to close a card.

Message 8 of 83
Gatortrout
Regular Contributor

So far all of my accounts have been good to me. Capital One was my first CC back in 2006, and other than minimal CLI's, I have no complaints.
Message 9 of 83
Brusilov
Established Contributor

HSBC, Capitol One, and Wells Fargo are all pretty much up there in the "never again" category for me.  

Message 10 of 83
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.