cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any CC lenders that you would never do biz with?

tag
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Re: Any CC lenders that you would never do biz with?

@longtimelurker

I've been getting pre-approved offers for their cb cards for quite a while every time I log onto my checking account! I guess the short term rewards hasn't been compelling enough to get me out of the garden! 😂

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 51 of 83
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@parakleet wrote:
@longtimelurker

I've been getting pre-approved offers for their cb cards for quite a while every time I log onto my checking account! I guess the short term rewards hasn't been compelling enough to get me out of the garden! 😂

Yes, only compelling for those wanting manufactured spend cards, and this, uncapped in the right categories, is great for that.

Message 52 of 83
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

To me this thread is pointless...

Every lender will be good and bad for people, not because the lender is bad, but because some lenders do not work for everyone and their specific plans they have.

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 53 of 83
chwebb1
Established Contributor

Cards that I have that I love:

American Express - Always had great customer service when I needed them. They even overnighted me an ExpressPay card when I requested one - and I didn't even ask for the card to be overnighted. The rewards are also good for me. The 90 day/6 month CLI is also great. CL is generous.

Cards I have that I like:

Citi - They were generous with the CL when I applied. I have not yet asked for a CLI from them, but I have heard mixed results in regards to soft/hard pull. Their customer service is decent, but I do feel like they're always trying to sell me something/trying to get me to use their card exclusively.

Barclaycard: Their customer service is helpful. Their recon people were iffy, and I had to take a triple pull to get their card, but I love the interest rate, community, and regular customer service. Hopefully I won't have to deal with their Recon people again. I wish my CL was higher.

Cards I have that I tolerate: 

Discover: Decent rewards (Especially the 5%), and decent customer service. Toy credit line doesn't allow me to use the card in the way I had planned (I try to keep all accounts under 10% UTIL). It was also extremely difficult to open this account (They required me to send my student documentation to them multiple times.), and make multiple phone calls to the New Accounts department to get this card.

BB&T: Rewards are fairly crappy, and get worse every year it seems. They are also a little trigger-happy when it comes to freezing accounts due to 'fraud', which turned out in all but one case to be legitimate (They are extremely paranoid and have frozen my card at least 3 times with no warning). The customer service is decent. They appear to HP for CLIs, which is depressing. This is my second lowest interest rate, though (after the Ring).

Cards I hated so much I cancelled: 

Chase Freedom: The interest rate they gave me I considered to be usury (22.99%). They also gave me a toy credit line of $1200. Unhelpful customer service representatives, and HP for CLIs, which they declined for me. I canceled this card three months after getting it, mostly out of anger of the interest rate and credit line. I read on this forum that Chase doesn't lower interest rates, which was my biggest reason to cancel the card. I have no idea why Chase seems to have such a great reputation on this forum. That reputation definitely wasn't the case for me. And I will be unlikely to do business with them for quite a while. 

A card from my local credit union: This was my first credit card. The CL was never increased even when I used the card. The CL remained at $500, which made the card useless to me. I recently cancelled this card. 

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 54 of 83
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

For 10 yrs, I threw all CitiBank invites away. 

A rep lied to me back then saying my payments would go proportionally to the higher and lower rate balances.  I held a grudge.  Earlier this year, I took them up for the $100 signup bonus and promptly spent $2300 on furniture to also get $115 5% category.

You keep your enemies closer.  hah.

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 55 of 83
eddie84
Valued Contributor

Cap1 & WF for me.  Just some bad personal experience with both.  That is all.

Message 56 of 83
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

I think Cap 1, WF, Barclays, BoA and Citi, ect. No particular reasons though.
Message 57 of 83
elvigy
Contributor

Citi. Back in 2009 I had a CC with them and they wanted to raise my interest rate to 30% (from 17). No amount of pointing out that I had a perfect payment history over a 9 year relationship with them would convince them not to raise the rate. So I closed the account and never looked back.

Amex BCP | Barclaycard Arrival WMC | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature | Discover IT
Message 58 of 83
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@chwebb1

You cancelled your Freedom after only 3 months? FWIW, Chase has lowered my APR upon request on my Amazon card. It's my understanding that 15.24% is the standard rate for their regular rewards earning cards while for the Slate, their lowest advertised rate is 11.99%.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 59 of 83
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@parakleet: I did cancel my Freedom after 3 months. After the poor customer service, insulting interest rate, and toy credit limit (Which at the time and for the foreseeable future, I would be unwilling to take a HP to increase), I really didn't see any way that they could make me a happy customer, so I decided to cut my losses. I know it probably didn't do good things to my credit score, but I decided that I had just had enough of them. Especially when I had several other cards that I was happy with.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 60 of 83
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.