cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any CC recommendations for non-US student?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any CC recommendations for non-US student?

I have a friend who is in the states on an F1 Visa from Australia and is looking to start his credit history. He's in college, and works part-time, so he has a social security number. 

I started out with the CapitalOne Journey, and am reccomending it to him. After a few months, I was upgraded to a Quicksilver, so I believe that is a good way to get a decent CC.

What are the chances of acceptance for this card for a foreign student? Are there other cards that are better for foreign students? How should a foreign student go about getting a credit card differently from a US citizen?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any CC recommendations for non-US student?

I've not heard of a case where foreigners were denied a credit account. That being said, the process is typically different. I think they require a US based deposit account (checking, money market, etc) and passport info. Your friend will also need to call the banks new accounts devision to see what's offered and required.
Message 2 of 4
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a friend who is in the states on an F1 Visa from Australia and is looking to start his credit history. He's in college, and works part-time, so he has a social security number. 

I started out with the CapitalOne Journey, and am reccomending it to him. After a few months, I was upgraded to a Quicksilver, so I believe that is a good way to get a decent CC.

What are the chances of acceptance for this card for a foreign student? Are there other cards that are better for foreign students? How should a foreign student go about getting a credit card differently from a US citizen?

Capital One used to have "Capital One® Cash Rewards for Newcomers" which was just for this situation (2% CB, although a very high APR) but unfortunately they stopped that.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a friend who is also on an F1 Visa and has similar cards to me, the SPG and a Discover. He did not have to do anything different but rather get the Discover initially and then wait until his score matured and got the SPG.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.