Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Canadians in the house!!!!

tag
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

Any Canadians in the house!!!!

So my friend is in need of a credit card in Canada. He is a PR and completely oblivious to credit card world. His top needs are: no AF, no foreign transaction fees (travels often to the US). Any members here with some insight on Canadian market? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any Canadians in the house!!!!

Does he have Canadian credit history? If not, everything is moot.

The only card with no forex fee and no annual fee is the Chase Canada Amazon visa. 1 percent cashback.

Rogers bank has a MasterCard that is 1.75 percent cashback and no forex fee, but has 29 annual fee with first year free only unless you have a Rogers or Fido account on autopay

Chase Canada has Marriott visa, first year free, 120 cad annual fee with the same category 5 night, or tangerine bank has a no annual fee 1 percent cashback card with pick 3 categories for 2 percent but with a 1 percent forex fee.

For further details I recommend he read red flag deals forums personal finance section.

If he has zero Canadian history but has a US amex, he should use global transfer to kick start his credit history in Canada, otherwise he'll be in the same situation as immigrants in the U.S. with needing secured cards
Message 2 of 4
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Last time I was in a CIBC, I looked over their CC brochure. Most of the cards looked pretty unappealing.

Discover's acceptance seems pretty limited, and Amex isn't great. Everyone seems to take Interac debit, and V/MC credit usually works. Having a primary PIN card might also be useful.

ETA: A lot of CIBC's better (relatively speaking) cards have (at least nominal) minimum income requirements.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 4
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

I really appreciate your reply. He has been there for little over 2 years ... so I am sure he has some credit history. I am going to forward all your suggestions.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.