cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Credit Cards known to shut you off for being maxed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any Credit Cards known to shut you off for being maxed?

Especially for an extended period? Just curious to see if this is a thing (You would think they would LOVE the interest revenue). I was thinking about it today after having my Chase Freedom maxed for 3 yrs, and never got even a warning letter or anything.

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any Credit Cards known to shut you off for being maxed?

@Anonymous wrote:

Especially for an extended period? Just curious to see if this is a thing (You would think they would LOVE the interest revenue). I was thinking about it today after having my Chase Freedom maxed for 3 yrs, and never got even a warning letter or anything.

Yes, creditors have been known to close accounts or do credit limit decreases for maxing a card out for a long period of time.  And generally they dont send warning letters, they just do it without warning.

Message 2 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think any lender would like long term Max.
Message 3 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, this is a frequent trigger for many (read almost all) lenders if you're maxed out for a long enough period of time. 

Sometimes rather than shutting you down completely, they'll do something even more,  in my opinion,  harsh.  They'll wait quietly until you make a large payment on your maxed out card and then slash your limit to just above what your remaining balance is.   Then you make another payment, and you get another CLD to just above your balance. This can continue until they have slashed your limit enough to put them at ease or until it's low enough that they just close you down outright.  This is called balance chasing and it is not pleasant to be on the receiving end of it! 

Message 4 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

^ Does a computer automatically know to do that? Or is there a human being reviewing/acting on situations like these? 

Message 5 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

So there you have it OP! Don't make any large payments or they may balance chase ya! LOL!!
Message 6 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

^ Does a computer automatically know to do that? Or is there a human being reviewing/acting on situations like these? 

Computer algorithm.

Message 7 of 31
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What would you guess!   Would be very easy to program something like if balance > 0.95 CL for > 3 months, prepare balance chase on account.

Message 8 of 31
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I can tell you who LIKES you to be maxed, and thats Comenity retail cards, LOL...

Years before my BK, I had a few of there cards maxed for years making only Min payments, and they made a ton of money in interest off of me....they loved it! LOL

But back to your question....all lenders are known to shut you down for risk...and that could include being maxed for a longer period of time. But, if you're maxed, they are making money, so its a toss up for them. Make money or close you for being to risky for them....
Message 9 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would having a high balance for just a few months while taking advantage of 0% interest trigger this kind of risk AA?

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.