Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Diners Club updates?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any Diners Club updates?

@Anonymous wrote:

Could someone please explain to me what happened to Diners Club?

People keep talking about it like it has gone out of business or something?

I even googled it but nothing relevant come up

They opened up applications for two versions of Diners Club MasterCards, not the traditional Diners Club card in the fall of last year. The applications were open for several months and they were very generous with approvals and credit limits.  They apparently were overwhelmed with applications and this caused a wide variety of problems.  As a result, they suddenly shut down the ability to apply for these cards without any specific information about when or if they would start talking them.  This was 6 months ago and it remains the same today.  The company itself is doing fine.

Message 31 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

They shut down my card after i used it for a 10k purchase for my brother's wedding, after i called in to verify the charge and my identity, they said everything is resumed now, but i was still unable to make any purchases, called again and they shufled me through out the departments and then told me they will call me after a few days, well its been months and still havents heard anything from them,

little background,

scores remained the same from the time of the approval

only balance that is showing is on their card and im simply making 500+ payments without charging anything obviously,

Message 32 of 42
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Maddog_ wrote:

Just noticed online that my Available Cash went form $20,000 to $4,000 on a Premier issued in October 2014.  No prior notice or anything like that.  I used card with very light monthly charges from my country club and paid off in full each month.  No prior cash advances.  Total CL stayed at $20K.  Should I ask them why, or are they doing this to everybody ?

Yes, my June 12 statement includes $20k limit, $20k Cash Advance limit.

Online recently, verified today, the Cash Advance is now $4k.

My highest balance on the card was $1,200.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 33 of 42
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Could someone please explain to me what happened to Diners Club?

People keep talking about it like it has gone out of business or something?

I even googled it but nothing relevant come up

Go to the web address www dot "dinersclubus" [all one word, no quote marks] dot com to see the range of accounts. The two cards discussed here are the Consumer cards, Elite and Premier. The Professional and Corporate cards are also active, but to get an application for one you need to be a big shot. As noted the Consumer apps were shut down late in 2014 and no specific re-availability has been posted.

All "Diners Club" branded cards in North America are now issued by Harris Bank, through that above web site, and are on the MasterCard network globally. These cards don't actually work on the real Diners Club payment network, because the Diners Club Payment network internationally was sold to Discover, so when you get a Discover card, on the back there is a true Diners Club logo, representing the international payment network that Discover has added.  Which is fine, MC has a wider range of merchants than Diners ever did.

The main distinguishing features of these Diners Consumer cards are the true Chip + PIN capability, along with PayPass touchless, and the Club Rewards points which transfer to a good range of airline and hotel partners for no transfer fee. The cards also come with airport lounge access, though most of the lounges are international, only a few are in the U.S.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 34 of 42
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@NRB525 wrote:

@Maddog_ wrote:

Just noticed online that my Available Cash went form $20,000 to $4,000 on a Premier issued in October 2014.  No prior notice or anything like that.  I used card with very light monthly charges from my country club and paid off in full each month.  No prior cash advances.  Total CL stayed at $20K.  Should I ask them why, or are they doing this to everybody ?

Yes, my June 12 statement includes $20k limit, $20k Cash Advance limit.

Online recently, verified today, the Cash Advance is now $4k.

My highest balance on the card was $1,200.

My Available Cash line remains the same (even for the last statement - new statement may generate any moment now).  Online though, it is the same for both cards - no reduction.

BMO Diners Club Premier Stmt.jpg

Message 35 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Maddog_ wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I app'd and was approved for a fairly high limit in September.  I read for months that the accounts would be closed down, or limits reduced.  I've used the card for 4-7k in charges every month in the US, Puerto Rico, Mexico and Europe.  Love the PIN feature.  No charge has ever been declined.  Love that I have another program that allows transfers to airline/hotel programs.  7th statement just cut and I did notice that cash feature would now be limited to 20% of CL but honestly if you need cash advances other than for emergencies you probably should not use a credit card.  So my question is, we're all these fears somewhat overblown? 

The last page of my April statement contains the following…

"Your card can be used to buy or lease goods or services wherever the card is honored. Your account has a credit limit. The full

amount of the credit limit is available to use where the card is honored. Subject to applicable law, we may reduce your credit limit at

any time."

…under the advisement that "Your Cardmember Agreement will also change."

I assumed the next move will be widespread CLDs. Sorry to draw attention to this Smiley Embarassed

That's pretty much standard i would assume for any lender. (Barclays first comes to mind)

It's of special note moreover that they are specifically addressing "cash advance balance".  Definitely covering the rears on that slip up. LoL

"We may reduce your cash limit limit at any time, and we may limit the frequency and amount of cash withdrawals you may make in any time period."

They must have had too many with these cards drawing from the cash well (ATM) not to mention any who intended to burn them anyway.

It's a wise step in that regard and i don't think they even had a limit on cash advances which is a problem waiting to happen.

My April statement included a notice stating…

"IMPORTANT NOTICE OF CHANGES REGARDING YOUR CARDMEMBER AGREEMENT AND CASH

LIMITS:

Effective June 1, 2015, we are changing cash limits on your Diners Club card account. The cash limit on your Account, which is the

maximum amount of credit we will extend to you for cash advances, will be reduced to 20% of your credit limit. We will not authorize

any transaction that would cause your cash advance balance to exceed your cash limit. The maximum amount of cash that may be

withdrawn per day will be $1,500, subject to your available cash limit. If your cash advance balance exceeds your cash limit on June

1, 2015, we will not charge you a fee for being over your cash limit or ask you to immediately repay the amount exceeding your cash

limit, but you will be unable to make additional cash advances until your cash advance balance is less than your cash limit.

Message 36 of 42
SGR
Contributor

My Diners club cash advance limit also decreased significantly a few days ago. I have a 25k limit and it used to be the same for the cash advance limit but now it's 5k. I've never used cash advance on the card (or on any other card for that matter). If I had to guess, I think they are modifying the structure of their cards to mirror the terms of all the other cards out there. For example, all my other CC's have a cash advance limit that is a pre-set fraction of the total limit. If you look at the modified Diners club cash advance limits people are reporting now you'll notice that they all seem to fit a pattern. For example, for each 5k of your total limit you're given 1k in cash advance which means 25k gets 5k, 20k gets 4k, etc...

UPDATE: Just saw the post above me... I missed it prior to posting.

Message 37 of 42
taxi818
Super Contributor

Wow. i never got that notice about the cash advance. ok . time to go check. they said after june 1st. looks like they are getting caught up finally after 7-8 months. maybe apps will reopen soon. as they are correcting all the things we loved about it. i also noticed a 2nd sp on my reports on may 10th. so they are checking on us. time to go check my limit. (cash advance)

Edit. just checked. yep. they lowered it to 20% of limit. in my case. 5k card. still luv it. Cash advance 1k.

tu is now 50 points higher than when I got approved. so maybe if they re open apps. i wlll jump all over the elite version this time. no matter the AF.

Message 38 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine dropped on my statement from yesterday.

Message 39 of 42
taxi818
Super Contributor

Irish. i remember when you apped it. Damn. your score has gone thru the roof since that time. what happened?

Message 40 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.