Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Experience with Diamond National?

tag
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Any Experience with Diamond National?

I would like to buy my wife a ring, but have no experience with this company and the Sterling Jewelers folks evidently don't think I am credit worthy. I see they have 12-24 month auto pay options - and they claim to report to all three bureaus.

Can anyone shed any light on this company? Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this question, but I wasn't sure if Diamond National issued a card for their credit or if it was simply an unsecured line.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Any Experience with Diamond National?

Have you looked at smaller local jewelers.  When I bought my wife's engagement ring, I worked with a smaller shop.  I put down a sizeable deposit and agreed to pay them the remainder in a year.  There was no credit check, no written agreement, just an understanding that I would pay the balance off in a year.  I can't say that this is standard, but you might find more flexibility if you check places other than national chains (don't know what Diamond National is, so maybe you are already checking other options).

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
sybo40
Regular Contributor

I just checked out their website and it looks a lot like the Crown Jewelers site.  I have/had an account with Crown Jewelers who had SOMEWHAT of the same structure for credit and payment terms (downpayment followed by monthly installments).  I am still in the rebuilding stage and thought Crown would help with reporting to ALL THREE bureaus, but came to discover that they only report to one.  So, if you're looking to go that route and add Diamond as part of building your score/profile to all three credit reports, I would encourage you to ask (via e-mail) if they report to all three bureaus.  I found out the hard way that ANYONE will tell you ANYTHING over the phone to get a new account so they can "ring the bell" for the congratulatory clap in their offices (at least that's what we used to do when I was in telemarketing and we "graciously" interrupted some poor family's dinner at 7:00 in the evening and made a sell of magazine subscription to someone over the phone).  Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: 490
Current Score: TU: 656; EQ: 607; EX: 642
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
LS2982
Mega Contributor

What bank represents Kay Jewelers?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 6
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

Not sure of the bank...

Here are the differences between CJ and Diamond National from what I can tell:

1. CJ requires 1/3 payment down, regardless of credit. DN, by comparison, pulls credit and determines by score and history whether the initial purchase amount warrants a down payment (Mine doesn't, and what I'm looking to purchase is almost $4,000)

2. CJ does NOT report to the bureaus...DN does...to all 3

3. DN assigns you a credit limit equal to 120% of the initial purchase amount after it is paid off. In my case, that will be an unsecured LOC of $4,500...reported to all 3 bureaus each month. Nice util bump waiting for me there! Also, they issue a store credit equal to 20% of the purchase price of the initial item. That equals $750 - which can be used to buy a $750 item, if desired!

4. DN includes color and clarity metrics with their jewelry...and most of the pieces I have looked at are very high on both scales.

Seems like a pretty good deal...I mean yeah, auto payments and interest suck, but doesn't that pretty much happen ANYWHERE that doesn't offer deferred interest? I'm really considering giving this one a go. Thoughts?

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 5 of 6
laz98
Senior Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

i think it's called sterling bank!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.