Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Forgiving Credit Card Companies?

tag
learned_my_lesson
New Contributor

Any Forgiving Credit Card Companies?

Unfortunately, I have had every reputable credit card charged off and some not so reputable as well. Now that I'm serious about establishing good credit, I'd like to know if there are any credit card companies that will give you a second chance?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Any Forgiving Credit Card Companies?

All of them are forgiving if your FICO scores meets their internal score range.  If you have no outstanding balances with the banks you apply with, and your credit is good, you would get approved. 
Message 2 of 9
Shane1
New Contributor

How long ago might make a difference, as will whether you've filed bankruptcy, but most banks are generally willing to work with you.

I have old chargeoffs with US Bank and Chase but got new cards with both of them. I have no plans of considering either Discover or Amex.

The blacklist thread may help you: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=creditcard&message.id=38214

With all that in mind, the major banks aren't the only players in town.

Message 3 of 9
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@learned_my_lesson wrote:
Unfortunately, I have had every reputable credit card charged off and some not so reputable as well. Now that I'm serious about establishing good credit, I'd like to know if there are any credit card companies that will give you a second chance?
You might want to consider a credit union. Many of them even have secured cards, if that's what you need. There are national credit unions, but there are also likely some local ones in your area.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DI wrote:
All of them are forgiving if your FICO scores meets their internal score range.  If you have no outstanding balances with the banks you apply with, and your credit is good, you would get approved. 

Not always true.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shane1 wrote:

How long ago might make a difference, as will whether you've filed bankruptcy, but most banks are generally willing to work with you.

I have old chargeoffs with US Bank and Chase but got new cards with both of them. I have no plans of considering either Discover or Amex.

The blacklist thread may help you: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=creditcard&message.id=38214

With all that in mind, the major banks aren't the only players in town.

That "Blacklist" thread only has a very few entries and hasn't been updated in 2 years. Not very imcompassing.

Message 6 of 9
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

@learned_my_lesson wrote:

It kind of depends. I burnt Orchard  years ago and got a HSBC card (same company) Is there a list you can give us so that we can direct you? I had a BK in 1986 and AMEX still won't touch me. I went with the high fee banks to re-establish credit and am now just beginning to see much better offers.
Message 7 of 9
learned_my_lesson
New Contributor

LOL!!! can beat you on this one. I burned both Orchard and HSBC. Cap1, Amex, Citi, Credit One, Discover, Dillards, Chase, and Macy's. I started trying to get things under control last summer. Didn't realize how bad off I was until I asked a friend (LO) to pull for me. March 2009 I was at EX 558, TU 536, and EQ 633. Equifax has been my friend. Since last summer I am now at TU 627 and EQ 730 these are from myfico.  Who knows about EX but the FAKO on CreditCheckTotal has EX at 633, EQ 732 and TU 661. I have opened secured accounts with Public Savings and Eufora. Now waiting on some baddies to drop and hopefully open another tl. On my loan officer pull my Amex open date is 1986 so that would be wonderful to get that one back.
Message 8 of 9
marty56
Super Contributor

@MsKiwi wrote:
I had a BK in 1986 and AMEX still won't touch me.

From time to time AE taunts me with a green or gold pre-approval notice.  They used to send frig magnets (I have 4 green and 2 gold) but these days there cheap.  They closed my green card when I went into DMP even though it didnt affect them since I PIF the card.  With there AF, AA and other assorted tricks, I would never get any product from them, even 0% APR for life.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.