cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Great Beginning/Intermediate Credit Cards?

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Any Great Beginning/Intermediate Credit Cards?

It's really up to u. If u want to apply for something now, it's best you pay it down, let the statement cut and then for it to report to the CRAs. Otherwise you can always apply in the future after your utilization is lower
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 11 of 17
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:
It's really up to u. If u want to apply for something now, it's best you pay it down, let the statement cut and then for it to report to the CRAs. Otherwise you can always apply in the future after your utilization is lower

I agree with enharu because you only have 2 credit card with ""lil" limit and it's killing your score there i said at least 20 points if u paid utility down. One of the reason for the denial for your recent apply too.

Paid it down and wait a few day after they report 0 balance then go for app spree by thta way u not going to get another ""toys" limit credit card(( Only if you not going to buy a new car, or house in a near future ). 3 should be a good number with your recent history. List 5, 10CC on your wish list and choose the 3 you like the most. Consider Credit Union since they give high limit and easy approval.

Sometimes, it's hard for them to give credit to someone new. We all been throught that time anyway. Slowly and steady should be number 1 concern for credit building,

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 12 of 17
Jerryf08
New Contributor

Do they report monthly or weekly?. I'll probably pay it all off. Or at least leave less than 10%
Chase Freedom: $5000, CSP: $12800 Chase Hyatt: $5000, Amazon Visa: $500, Amex BCE: $23200, Discover IT: $3600, Walmart Disc: $7500, BOA Cash $5000, Best Buy: $3500
Message 13 of 17
enharu
Super Contributor

They usually report monthly. Most of the time 3-7 days after your statement is out
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 14 of 17
HiLine
Blogger

I don't see many cards you can't get once you take utilization down to 1% or so. If you want an American Express credit card, now's your best chance.

Message 15 of 17
Jerryf08
New Contributor

Would it be better to leave a small balance on my best buy card:? It's still in a 0% 24 months because of the T.V. Right now I owe about 2100. I was thinking of just leaving it at $100. Or would it be better to just pay it all off?

It would be best for me to apply right now at my ~36% utilization rate? Or do you mean once I get it at <1%?

Chase Freedom: $5000, CSP: $12800 Chase Hyatt: $5000, Amazon Visa: $500, Amex BCE: $23200, Discover IT: $3600, Walmart Disc: $7500, BOA Cash $5000, Best Buy: $3500
Message 16 of 17
HiLine
Blogger

You should have one card report a balance, so yeah leaving $100 on your Best Buy card is a great idea. 36% utilization is quite high. I would drop it to below 10% to avoid raising a red flag. Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.