Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Luck With Letters? [UPDATED!]

tag
Tommy5746
Regular Contributor

Any Luck With Letters? [UPDATED!]

I've heard of people who have been declined for a credit card writing a letter to that CCC pleading their case.. basically a recon via snail mail.. and they have success.. Has anybody here tried this? Writing a CCC after they were denied asking that they reconsider and then actually be approved?

10/22/12 - I received a letter back from Chase regarding a letter i sent them asking them to please reconsider me for the Amazon card. (I did recon them over the phone but was told a no go on the card right after i applied and was denied online) It goes like this:

First Name Last name

Address

RE: 19265400088

Dear Person,

Thank you for your request to reconsider your application for a Chase Amazon Visa Platinum credit card. Unfortunately, we were unable to approve your initial request based on the reasons below:

• Balances on revolving accounts are too high compared to credit limits
  • Length of time accounts have been established

However, upon further review of your application we have determined that you are eligible for a Chase Amazon Visa Platinum credit card. We would like to congratulate you and welcome you to the chase family! Please refer to the follow up letter that you will receive in 7 - 10 business days regarding your new Chase card and for your cards terms and cardmemeber agreement.

Information about your credit report

In evaluating your application, the consumer reporting agency below provided us with information in whole or in part influenced our decision. Please note that the reporting agency did not make the decision and is unable to provide the specific reasons for any denial or approval for credit. Details about your right to know the information in your credit report are provided at the end of this letter.

TransUnion,

2 Baldwin Place

P.O. Box 1000

Chester, PA19022-1370

(800) 888-4213

http;//www.transunion.com/direct

We appreciate your interest in Chase. If you have any further questions regarding your new Chase card, please contact us at the address shown above

Sincerely,

Lending Services

That was the letter i received!! Pretty awesome if you ask me!

Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
CreditEd
Regular Contributor

Re: Any Luck With Letters?

CC companies themselves ARE NOT going to make any exceptions due to consideration letters. Focus on make Pay For Delete deals with your collection agencies to get COs deleted and removed, and Good Will letters with previous creditors or collection agencies to remove lates and collections and charge offs. This will bring your scores up dramatically. They new banks will review your new scores much more favorably.

If you get the COs and lates removed, it will look like they never occurred to new creditors.

NPSL              $25k            $25k              $23k              $22k               $16k              $12k              $10k            $6.5k
Message 2 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Tommy5746 wrote:

I've heard of people who have been declined for a credit card writing a letter to that CCC pleading their case.. basically a recon via snail mail.. and they have success.. Has anybody here tried this? Writing a CCC after they were denied asking that they reconsider and then actually be approved?

Probably no different than what you can accomplish with a phone call when it comes to reconning a credit decision these days.

Personally I'd rather take the phone route over snail mail any day when it comes to pleading my case on a credit decision but I've worked in many call centers and that interaction is comfortable for me.  Some folks might have better luck with letters, but given our society is trending away from snail mail, I don't think the option is optimal, plus it takes a lot more time on both sides.

        
Message 3 of 11
sccredit
Valued Contributor

@CreditEd wrote:

CC companies themselves ARE NOT going to make any exceptions due to consideration letters. Focus on make Pay For Delete deals with your collection agencies to get COs deleted and removed, and Good Will letters with previous creditors or collection agencies to remove lates and collections and charge offs. This will bring your scores up dramatically. They new banks will review your new scores much more favorably.

If you get the COs and lates removed, it will look like they never occurred to new creditors.

I disagree with this and think that, for most creditors, it is incorrect.  Many people have had great success with reconning credit denials. 

If you have already taken the inquiry try a call and then another call and then another and then send the letter. 

Message 4 of 11
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I was declined for a corporate Diner's Club card at my last job.  The reason listed was collections and charged off accounts.  I wrote them a letter asking that they reconsider because I had no collections or charge offs.  I had several accounts reporting some serious lates, but I had been out of work for a while, and was no working again.  All accounts were current at the time.  I received the card about a week later.

Granted, this was a company card, so the underwriting criteria was probably more lax.  Don't know why I wrote to them rather than calling.  Wasn't too familiar with the idea of reconsideration requests at the time, and I just thought I'd have better luck writing a formal request. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 11
Tommy5746
Regular Contributor

So it looks like the snail mail recon process isnt useless after all haha... Lengthy! but not useless!

Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 11
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Congrats, way to go with the letter!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 7 of 11
xiownthisplacex
Frequent Contributor

Wow nice! And congrats!

Chase has been very good to me, I now have $19,500 CL with my 3 chase cards, and I got my first one last year in Oct! 6 months later got my CSP and 5 months later got the Select card Smiley Happy

Hope they treat you the same way!

Message 8 of 11
pinoyscorpion951
New Contributor

There was a thread here a while back about a mother writing several recon letters for her son and getting him approved for several GE cards after denials. I can't seem to locate it when I do a search, but with all the talk about GE not doing recons, I found that one case somewhat interesting. Chase I've heard is very good about doing recons. Congrats to the OP!!

Message 9 of 11
XxRaVeNxX
Regular Contributor

What did you say in the letter, that wasn't explained in the phone call?

I might go this route...

How did you explain the new accounts...just curious Smiley Wink

Chase Southwest $5000 - November 2012 Wal Mart $1000 - November 2012 NFCU Visa $5,000 - Sept 2012 NFCU NavCheck $3,000 - October 2012 Amazon $900 - Aug 2012 Kay's Jewlery $2700 - Aug 2012 Buckle $250 (Shopping cart trick) - October 2012 Roaman's $250 (Shopping cart trick) - October 2012 Capital One Secured $225 - April 2012 Capital One Platinum $2500 - July 2012
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.