cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Possiblitiy of Recon with Walmart Credit Card app?

tag
diabla
Regular Contributor

Re: Any Possiblitiy of Recon with Walmart Credit Card app?

@Jutz wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

were you really declined is the question with a 7-10 day notice and calling in verifying information is usually standard proceedures with opening questionable accounts since a lot of identity theft happens especially with people in the subprime lending territory.

+1 in this thread too, haha.

I don't know.  The response I got when I applied was:

You will receive a decision by mail in the next 7–10 days. Please make a note of your application's reference number for your records.

They didn't ask me to call in, I took it upon myself to search for a number and call.  So I called in and asked if they needed more information or what did they need?  They didn't even ask for my reference number, basically asked for my name, addy, phone, social, then verified info from my CU.  It almost sounds like they redid the app, but either way, its a recon.   Who knows what I would have received in the mail had i waited. Usually, that message yields me nothing but a decline letter.

Still worth a shot for anyone in the same boat.

And I don't know that I'm really in the subprime category any longer, all of my scores are over 680 now.

Message 11 of 19
distantarray
Established Contributor

@diabla wrote:

I don't know.  The response I got when I applied was:  You will receive a decision by mail in the next 7–10 days. Please make a note of your application's reference number for your records.

So I called in and asked if they needed more information or what did they need?  They didn't even ask for my reference number, basically asked for my name, addy, phone, social, then verified info from my CU.  It almost sounds like they redid the app, but either way, its a recon.   Who knows what I would have received in the mail had i waited. Usually, that message yields me nothing but a decline letter.

Still worth a shot for anyone in the same boat.

yea it doen't look like you were declined, but just needed to verify your identity. a lot of credit cards do this, I even had to do this with Chase when I opened a Sapphire and Freedom on the same day, Instant approved on Sapphire, and 7-10 days on Freedom lol, your only supposed to get 1 card every 6months from Chase from what I they told me, but since I have a established banking relationship with them they let me, but it looks funny when you apply for multiple cards late at night lol mine was at like 3am, it red flags for fraud esp when apping for multiple cards on the same bank lol.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 12 of 19
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Exactly, you're well within the approval territory for the WM card, I doubt it was a straightout denial, just needed to make sure you were you!  Either way, nice win, and nice scores too!

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 13 of 19
diabla
Regular Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

yea it doen't look like you were declined, but just needed to verify your identity. a lot of credit cards do this, I even had to do this with Chase when I opened a Sapphire and Freedom on the same day, Instant approved on Sapphire, and 7-10 days on Freedom lol, your only supposed to get 1 card every 6months from Chase from what I they told me, but since I have a established banking relationship with them they let me, but it looks funny when you apply for multiple cards late at night lol mine was at like 3am, it red flags for fraud esp when apping for multiple cards on the same bank lol.

Oh boy, then I'm going to be doing a lot of calling for verification! LOL   Late night is when I always end up apping!  I sit here and read the boards and get tempted and then I'm off to the apps!  It's usually after 11 p.m. when I'm most vulnerable! Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 19
diabla
Regular Contributor

@Jutz wrote:

Exactly, you're well within the approval territory for the WM card, I doubt it was a straightout denial, just needed to make sure you were you!  Either way, nice win, and nice scores too!

Thanks, I'm not applying for anything else until next year.  I just wanted something to make me feel better, lol.  I put in a LOT of work in October and got most of my boost during those 30 days, so this is like my reward.  Now I'm getting my car and sitting down until next Spring!

Message 15 of 19
distantarray
Established Contributor

what did you get approved or declined for? with your score try for a Amex Green just to get your feet in the door imo, for backdating purposes before the year is over. if your not aware of backdating if you get a card now you lock the membership started year at 2012 then if you apply for another card in January 2013. American Express will start reporting the card as MEMBER start year

2012  + application month for new credit card 

So if you get one now in November, in January your first American Express will have 1-2 months of history on your credit reports by January. If you open a second Amex card in January that second card will report from JANUARY (application month) + Member start year of 2012 = January 2012   so you'll have 1 full year of credit reporting from a brand new card =)

so combine that with 1-2months of your first card = 6.5+ months of average age for your two cards.

Message 16 of 19
diabla
Regular Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

what did you get approved or declined for? with your score try for a Amex Green just to get your feet in the door imo, for backdating purposes before the year is over. if your not aware of backdating if you get a card now you lock the membership started year at 2012 then if you apply for another card in January 2013. American Express will start reporting the card as MEMBER start year

So if you get one now in November, in January your first American Express will have 1-2 months of history on your credit reports by January. If you open a second Amex card in January that second card will report from JANUARY (application month) + Member start year of 2012 = January 2012   so you'll have 1 full year of credit reporting from a brand new card =)

so combine that with 1-2months of your first card = 6.5+ months of average age for your two cards.

I don't know, man, I'm kinda scared of AMEX!  I hear so many horror stories of them being sensitive to different things and requesting FRs, or decreasing your credit limit.  I don't know, lol.  Let me get my car next week and then see how much I lose from the new installment loan, and maybe I'll try the AMEX in December....before I shut down for the winter!

Message 17 of 19
distantarray
Established Contributor

@diabla wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

I don't know, man, I'm kinda scared of AMEX!  I hear so many horror stories of them being sensitive to different things and requesting FRs, or decreasing your credit limit.  I don't know, lol.  Let me get my car next week and then see how much I lose from the new installment loan, and maybe I'll try the AMEX in December....before I shut down for the winter!

lol i dunno i didn't have a problem getting in once my reports were 100% clean and I got Amex Blue Cash Preferred which is one of the hardest cards to get but ymmv. Getting one like Green would get you in the door and no be a real issue, but try apping on the same day as your car loan so you won't really have much to lose since they won't see the extra inquries lol, charge card applications go through much easier since your supposed to pay 100% back within the same month.

Message 18 of 19
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

Does All or GE not RECON or is this a Walmart Card thing?

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.