Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Prestige rumors?

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Any Prestige rumors?

@MrDisco99 wrote:
I also noticed there hasn’t been a signup bonus offer for Premier or Prestige for some time. I suspect these cards may be going the way of the Dividend if things stay as they are.

I’d planned to hang on to my TY Premier for the second year so I could signup for another one and get the bonus again after the second year was up. However with it looking like there may not be a bonus offer to go after I’m questioning whether I want to pay an AF at all on this card. The 50K points I got were nice and they helped iron out some details in my vacation plan but their portal leaves much to be desired. I have one more flight I need to buy and I theoretically have enough points to get it but it’s not available on the portal after checking over and over again for months. I can use a different card for it but then I have to figure out what to do with the rest of these points. I guess I could get some gift cards or something.

What flight aren't you able to book? Is it some weird international route? An obscure carrier?

I can understand small hotels not being on there, but I assumed they had most airlines covered. I've only booked AA flights through Citi, though.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 11 of 35
wasCB14
Super Contributor

To further obfuscate their supposed strategy for Prestige, Citi has been giving out retention offers like candy. I just accepted another one for $50 per statement with $1500+ spend for us to 7 statements. The bar is not very high.

Message 12 of 35
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14wrote:

To further obfuscate their supposed strategy for Prestige, Citi has been giving out retention offers like candy. I just accepted another one for $50 per statement with $1500+ spend for us to 7 statements. The bar is not very high.

That's not a really great offer.  Sure you get $350 (eventually) but you have to spend $10,500 to get it.  That's a 3.3% gain.  I suppose it's better than nothing on top of the rewards you're already getting, but it's easily beaten by some mundane signup or upgrade bonus offers.  It makes sense if you would have put that spend on the card anyway, but I don't get the impression most people use their Prestige card that way.  I could be wrong.

Message 13 of 35
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:
I also noticed there hasn’t been a signup bonus offer for Premier or Prestige for some time. I suspect these cards may be going the way of the Dividend if things stay as they are.

I’d planned to hang on to my TY Premier for the second year so I could signup for another one and get the bonus again after the second year was up. However with it looking like there may not be a bonus offer to go after I’m questioning whether I want to pay an AF at all on this card. The 50K points I got were nice and they helped iron out some details in my vacation plan but their portal leaves much to be desired. I have one more flight I need to buy and I theoretically have enough points to get it but it’s not available on the portal after checking over and over again for months. I can use a different card for it but then I have to figure out what to do with the rest of these points. I guess I could get some gift cards or something.

What flight aren't you able to book? Is it some weird international route? An obscure carrier?

I can understand small hotels not being on there, but I assumed they had most airlines covered. I've only booked AA flights through Citi, though.

It's a weird international route.  I'm trying to book a flight from Santorini back to Athens.  What's annoying is that when I looked at it last year there was plenty of availability on Aegean and I went ahead and banked points so I could book it for when we are actually going later this year.  However, all that's showing for my date since it became bookable is some crazy overnight all over Europe itineraries on Lufthansa.  If I look on the Aegean site it's bookable there.  I just want to use my points dammit.

Message 14 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99wrote:

@wasCB14wrote:

That's not a really great offer.  Sure you get $350 (eventually) but you have to spend $10,500 to get it.  That's a 3.3% gain.  I suppose it's better than nothing on top of the rewards you're already getting, but it's easily beaten by some mundane signup or upgrade bonus offers.  It makes sense if you would have put that spend on the card anyway, but I don't get the impression most people use their Prestige card that way.  I could be wrong.

For the type of clientele the Prestige is intended for, $10,500 isn't that much. 

This is the same bank that offered a measley 75,000 TY points for $7,500 in spend once the nerf happened last July. 

Message 15 of 35
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@MrDisco99wrote:

@wasCB14wrote:

It's not an amazing retention offer in itself, but a good offer considering that since my last one:

-I've spent less than $2k on the card

-I booked a 4th night free

-I got the GE credit and 2018 airfare credit *but did pay a $450 AF*

-I got a few price rewinds (newer stuff had been going on Costco in anticipation of a potential Prestige closure)

I have a $10k checking account with them but am not Citigold/priority or anything.

My point is more that it's odd they don't offer new customers a bonus, but they are happy to give cash to keep current customers....even ones who are clearly unprofitable. I'm not alone. On FT, just about anyone gets a Prestige retention offer.

Message 16 of 35
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@MrDisco99wrote:
It's a weird international route.  I'm trying to book a flight from Santorini back to Athens.  What's annoying is that when I looked at it last year there was plenty of availability on Aegean and I went ahead and banked points so I could book it for when we are actually going later this year.  However, all that's showing for my date since it became bookable is some crazy overnight all over Europe itineraries on Lufthansa.  If I look on the Aegean site it's bookable there.  I just want to use my points dammit.

Just tried it myself. Google flights shows a few carriers fly the route, but Citi shows nothing. I didn't realize the Citi/Connexxions website had such limitations!

Message 17 of 35
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@MrDisco99wrote:

@wasCB14wrote:

For the type of clientele the Prestige is intended for, $10,500 isn't that much. 

This is the same bank that offered a measley 75,000 TY points for $7,500 in spend once the nerf happened last July. 

I do have some off-category, no-perk-needed spend I can put on the card. Also, cash is welcome as I am still somewhat point-heavy.

When the current bonus is nothing at all, 75k for $7.5 would be a big improvement!

Message 18 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@MrDisco99wrote:

@wasCB14wrote:

I do have some off-category, no-perk-needed spend I can put on the card. Also, cash is welcome as I am still somewhat point-heavy.

When the current bonus is nothing at all, 75k for $7.5 would be a big improvement!

Meh. The spending requirement is too high for what you get. Even the Reserve's spending requirement is $4,000 and it's probably worth as much as the Citi bonus after point transfers. It doesn't surprise me that Cut-Corners Bank either has a conservative sign up bonus with higher spend or none at all, with nothing in between. 

Personally i'm getting real tired of Citi's cheapness lately. Nerfing the Prestige... Upping the requirements of Citi Gold... 99% overseas customer service... weak to no signup bonuses for their points cards... Cheap metal used on the Prestige and the most flimsy card in my wallet comes from them (Premier). 

Message 19 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm pretty sure they've had sign up bonus so of 40k points for $4k spend and/or 50k points for $5k spend, maybe even 30k points for $3k spend. Nothing spectacular value wise, but the same rate and more easily hittable than 75k for $7.5k.
Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.