Any Prestige rumors?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any Prestige rumors?

@Anonymouswrote:

@wasCB14wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

Meh. The spending requirement is too high for what you get. Even the Reserve's spending requirement is $4,000 and it's probably worth as much as the Citi bonus after point transfers. It doesn't surprise me that Cut-Corners Bank either has a conservative sign up bonus with higher spend or none at all, with nothing in between. 

Personally i'm getting real tired of Citi's cheapness lately. Nerfing the Prestige... Upping the requirements of Citi Gold... 99% overseas customer service... weak to no signup bonuses for their points cards... Cheap metal used on the Prestige and the most flimsy card in my wallet comes from them (Premier). 

What happened to it being your 2018 credit goal? Your opinions of Prestige and Platinum change very frequently.

Prestige actually does get (at least in my experience) competent domestic reps (after some annoying menus). Lower-tier CCs and other lower-tier banking services are where the incompetent domestic reps (and I've had more than a few complaints with them) and all foreign ones seem to work.

Yes they do.

Depends on which version of the Platinum. 

Overall, I've always thought the AMEX Platinum was the weakest of the big three (Prestige, Reserve, Platinum).

Message 31 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpatwrote:

@Anonymous

Amex would add AA before citi would.  Citi is too cheap to.  That is why their transfer program is so weak.  Amex already as an alliance w/ AA.  I have called for preferred pricing using my plat card and have received two lower price first class fares than what was on the AA site.  Some little things I bet you didn’t know about Amex.

Was this for international AA first class travel or domestic?

Message 32 of 35
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@redpatwrote:

@Anonymous

Amex would add AA before citi would.  Citi is too cheap to.  That is why their transfer program is so weak.  Amex already as an alliance w/ AA.  I have called for preferred pricing using my plat card and have received two lower price first class fares than what was on the AA site.  Some little things I bet you didn’t know about Amex.

Was this for international AA first class travel or domestic?

Domestic to the far left coast of CA, lol!

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 33 of 35
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@redpatwrote:

It turns out Citi”s best premium card is AA Exec because you can have up to 10 AUs have Admiral lounge access and primary cardholder has priority when checking in at the airport and going through security.  Citi blew Prestige up when they nerfed AA lounge.  

Hmmm, only Amex now as a airline’s lounge offering with a non- airline credit card, plat gives you Delta.  I turns out citi can’t beat Amex in the premium travel space after all.

For some users. I moved and don't fly AA as much. But for a frequent flyer with a few AUs (and no 4-night stays) the value is definitely there.

Strictly speaking, I think JPMR offers United Club access. But unless someone got a Palladium years ago via CPC and later PCed, or has an employer that offers banking status as a perk, it requires having significant assets. Certainly not a "mass super premium" option.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 34 of 35
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
I knew about the 50k for $3k offer, but I assume it isn't coming back soon if ever considering that for awhile the sign up bonuses have been 10k points per $1k spend or no bonus at all, plus the recent devaluations to the card. My concern wasn't how hittable $7.5k is - I was merely noting that easier to hit sign up offers have been available for the card fairly recently, and since it's at 0 now, it seems likely they'll offer something at the middling rate of 10k points per $1k spend that looks comparable on paper to the chase sapphire offer. 40k for $4k or 50k for $5k seems fitting, especially since they're coming from a period of no bonus and overall devaluing the card.

Personally, I do intend to still apply for this card. The unlimited roadside is understated, Imo, and unlike branded hotel cards that offer a free night, I can get a 4th night free with the Prestige at unique hotels in small towns where there aren't any holiday inns or Hiltons etc. 24 month purchase protection can get you a new cell phone if it messes up within 2 years, and 3 hour trip delay is short enough that you could even book flights that are statistically typically late.

One caution there is that if a flight is merely delayed, it can be hard to actually leave the gate to get a nice meal. A 6:00 flight can be "delayed" until 8:00 but actually take off at 7:30. If you have to be late, it can be better to have the original flight canceled, then be put on a later flight that takes off on time.

4th night is definitely useful for non-chain hotels...or ones where you just don't have any points. Lots of small properties require calling, though, as they don't appear on the website.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 35 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.