Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Red Flags for a Single Purchase

tag
beachbum33
New Contributor

Any Red Flags for a Single Purchase

I was just approved for the Barclay's Rewards and wanted to take advantage of the 0% for 6 months, is it ok to make a single large purchase($1200) on the card ( $2000 limit) and pay down the balance during the 6 month period??? Not applying for anything else during this period.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Any Red Flags for a Single Purchase

Of course... They gave you 2k... If they don't like you using up to the 2k they can have it back and go elsewhere... Don't worry
Message 2 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Not sure about red flags but it will skyrocket your utilization on this card alone - that's if you're concerned about any score impacts.  It probably won't hurt contacting Barclays to let them know you anticipate making a large purchase of X amount so they're aware in case that any issues arise.

Message 3 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:
Of course... They gave you 2k... If they don't like you using up to the 2k they can have it back and go elsewhere... Don't worry

Not all cards work the same - especially when dealing with a brand new account.  And anecdotal experiences with Barclays points them in the quirky category.  Best practices always help in case issues arise.

Message 4 of 9
beachbum33
New Contributor

I'm really not concerned about my score, none of my cards are over 10% now and none of them have been over 50% since starting to rebuild 3 yrs ago, I just didn't want it declined by Barclays and then have them close my account like they do for inquiries.

Message 5 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@beachbum33 wrote:

I'm really not concerned about my score, none of my cards are over 10% now and none of them have been over 50% since starting to rebuild 3 yrs ago, I just didn't want it declined by Barclays and then have them close my account like they do for inquiries.

No reason to be concerned whatsoever, they won't close it due to the large purchase amount.  And, they are offering the 0% promotion for a reason.  My suggestion was simply to contact them to let them know about the anticipated amount (so they can note your account) as the purchase would represent ~60% of your current CL.

Message 6 of 9
wagsk1
Regular Contributor

I wouldn`t worry. Wife just approved for world card with a 10k cl and we just charged a 6k vacation on it with no problem.

Message 7 of 9
Luscher
Valued Contributor

I would call them and tell them that you are going to make the purchase. Since the account is so new
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 8 of 9
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@Luscher wrote:
I would call them and tell them that you are going to make the purchase. Since the account is so new

@Anonymous this! My Barclay card is about 3 months old, I made a $1500 purchase on a $2500 CL and it went through just fine. The next morning @ 8am Barclay calls me about some suspicious transactions. I sleepily tell them it was me and to next time to call after 10am!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.